UV Sterilizer

orangespot

Is it worth getting or will a QT tank be better. I have QT tank set up but thinking of getting UV too to make sure I can prevent ich outbreaks. What do you guys think?

capt.lunch

UV"s are great for a FOWLR, but not for a reef. They kill off the good along with the bad and then you have to add back what was lost.

howardcu

Whether or not it is good or bad for a reef tank is still under much debate. I am considering getting a UV sterilizer myself and after searching this site for information about them have still come to no conclucion. Some people swear by them and others swear against them. I think for fish only it is undisputed that they don't cause any harm. However, many hobbyists believe that using UV on a reef tank with filter feeders will drastically reduce the plankton availabe for the filter feeders. I am definitely going to get one for my attempt at raising dottyback fry, but I haven't decided yet for the reef tank. I will post back if I find a good source of information. I did notice that many of the tanks in the book, Ultimate Marine Aquariums, 19 of the 50 tanks had UV sterilizers and another 4 had ozone devices without a UV sterilizer. But, there were another 7 or 8 tanks that didn't even run a protien skimmer. Those tanks had large refugiums for nutrient export and major water changes. Not sure if I really helped out at all, but there are many hobbyists that are successful with and without a UV sterilizer.

tony detroit

I run a UV and ozone on my reef. No complaints here.
I'm not going to start a pi$$ing contest, but I will say that I can outgrow most reefers I know. I don't buy the "UV is bad for a reef tank theory".
If you want coral to grow clean your water up and watch them take off. 95% of the food you need is already in your water.
There first people to tell you not to run UV are people that have never used it themselves.
I'm not telling you you need one, or to rush out and buy one. I'm saying they're very beneficial and I like mine.

howardcu

After reading all I could find on the subject I think I am going to go with a UV sterilizer. The benefits of keeping the water cleaner and disease down seem greater than the drawback of possibly killing food organisms. Plus I feed my organisms anyway and am planning on growing algae and rotifers to raise dottyback fry so I can just feed my corals rotifers too.