Uv Sterilizer

805puffer

I have a couple of questions about uv sterilizers. First of all what do they do for your tank? I have an 80 gallon, what uv sterilizer would you recomend for it. Thanks

guineawhop

the uv sterilizer kils small bacteria even the good bactera along with the bad, it also helps but does not get rid of algae, and will help with free floating parasites like before ick attaches itself.

lion_crazz

Originally posted by 805puffer
I have a couple of questions about uv sterilizers. First of all what do they do for your tank? I have an 80 gallon, what uv sterilizer would you recomend for it. Thanks

Personally, I think there are better ways to spend $70 to $120 on a saltwater tank. I think UV's have little to no purpose.

guineawhop

uv sterilizers are very expensive, but when i put mine on my tank there was a definite difference in the way my tank water looked. not that it wasn't clear before but it was so clear i couldn't even tell there was water in the tank if not for the fish swimming around

lion_crazz

Originally posted by guineawhop
uv sterilizers are very expensive, but when i put mine on my tank there was a definite difference in the way my tank water looked. not that it wasn't clear before but it was so clear i couldn't even tell there was water in the tank if not for the fish swimming around

what type of UV do you run?

guineawhop

i have a tetratec, 5 watt. it did a great job but i decided to not run it because too many attachments. powerhead and tubes. i'm selling it if your interested was 150 but selling for 75 plus shipping.