UV sterilizer

petem

I finally installed a uv sterilizer.(turbotwist 9w) on my 72g tank after 4 years. I was told this would aid in retarding the growth of hair algae that I've been getting because I upgraded my lighting system. Which by the way, is Orbit, two daylights, 10,000k and 6500k two actinics 450 and 420nm. Now, I was also told that I should leave the uv sterilizer on for two weeks straight but then shut it off, and then let it run intermittently? is this correct? or do you all leave it on all of the time.

saltn00b

how much flow on your 72g do you have? how often and how much do you feed? what are your phosphates?

petem

I'm not sure of the gallons/hour. I have two Rena Filstar canister filters, the X2 model. I also have two maxijets. 900 and 1200. Prizm ps (basic one). My lfs also told me to put a valve on the sterilizer and run the water slowly. I feed everyother day. Phosphates should be zero or close to it. I use RO/DI. water.

petem

Well, let me pose the question another way...Will I be doing any harm if I run it continuously?

saltn00b

UV sterilzers kill both bad and beneficial bacteria and organisms. i never run it on a reef tank.

ciroth

Originally Posted by saltn00b
UV sterilzers kill both bad and beneficial bacteria and organisms. i never run it on a reef tank.
Like he said... if you must run it as little as possible. Definately wouldn't run it for 24/7 at the most 12hr cycles

larryndana

what about a fo or fowlr?
Originally Posted by Ciroth

Like he said... if you must run it as little as possible. Definately wouldn't run it for 24/7 at the most 12hr cycles.
12hr cycle, what about less than that....would it matter if it was less?

ciroth

Originally Posted by larryndana
what about a fo or fowlr?
12hr cycle, what about less than that....would it matter if it was less?
ok im definately not new to saltwater but im new to saltwater acronyms so fo and fowlr mean what exactly?
Doesn't really matter if you do less than that it just might take your tank longer to clear up the algae problems. So really just how patient you are and how far you a willing to push your tank.

ciroth

Fo = Fish only
FOWLR = Fish only with Live rock.
i would run UV on these set ups.
thanks for the clarification

larryndana

Fo = Fish only
FOWLR = Fish only with Live rock.
i would run UV on these set ups.
with a sump, would you put it before or after the water goes to the tank? :thinking:

ciroth

Originally Posted by larryndana
with a sump, would you put it before or after the water goes to the tank? :thinking:
After would be best

petem

My friend mentioned that once the "Sea Hare" stops growing and turns brown, I can just run it once every two weeks for a few hours. When I get a new fish, how long would I run it then?