Uv sterilizer

apexkw

how much would you pay for a uv sterilizer. does 150 sound like a good price? its a year old, but i cant remember the brand so i will get back to you guys on that. also do you think a tank really needs one? thx

mr . salty

That's a pretty vauge post.Can't say if it's worth it unless we know what kind it is.Also can't say if your tank needs one if we don't know what you have....But,most new UV's can be bought for around 150-200 bucks.So unless this is in LIKE NEW condition,I would just buy a new one.Plus a used unit has NO WARRANTY.Also,what about the bulb???These need to be replaced every year.So you need to figure in the cost of a new one...

apexkw

well the guy hasnt emailed me back yet the only thing i reall know is that is 300 watt( so he says) i dont know about the bulb and he cant remember who makes it. he also doesnt have the box instructions or anything. i have a 60 gallon reef tank. all readings are good. 0 nitrate/trites 0 ammonia .3 ph but i am still negoting the price because he said he paid 300 for it new less than a year ago.

mr . salty

If it is indeed a 300 watt ubit it would be WAAAAY to much sterilizer for your tank..I would definatly skip it.Especially seeing as this guy know little to nothing about it.Can't even remember when he changed the bulb last...Sounds fishey...

apexkw

well the guy finally wrote me back and now he claims that it is INFACT a 300 watt bulb. he told me that you need double the wattage compared to your tank. in otherwords he said since he has 150 gallon tank he needed a 300 watt bulb. is he crazy or something. the only thing i can think of is its a house or pond uv sterilizer cause i have done a bunch of reading since my first post and this guys number is way off. i have seen bulbs rated at 50 watts recomended for a 375 gallon tank. any ways i think i will pass unless he gives it to me for dirt cheap and i mean dirt cheap. ok thanks again