uv sterilizer

worshrag

so i want to make a uv "flashlight" to kill aiptasia. i will take the LR out of tank ang give them a 5 second long tan. will this work? do they make such a product? thanks

scsinet

Theoretically... maybe, and no, unfortunately.
While such a device may be technically possible, it would be incredibly dangerous as the intensity of the light required can damage your eyes in seconds of exposure.
I'd be more inclined to fight aiptasia with conventional means. While I'm sure your ray gun would be cool (I'd have to concede... VERY cool... albeit dangerous), as long as you have reserved yourself to removing the live rock, dripping very hot water or saturated kalk will kill just as effectively, without the danger.

xdave

As long as you've gone to the trouble of taking the rock out, why don't you just pick them off?
I have to agree with SCSInet on this one, UV light is not something you want to play around with.

worshrag

i pick them off and 5 more appear. dont get me wrong, i know aiptasia are wonderful filters, but they are getting too close to my ricordeas. and as far as the power they are less than 1 watt,still too powerfull? Doesnt seem like enough to hurt a person. I would be wearing a welding helmet and sunscreen.

scsinet

If the light is intense enough to harm the aiptasias, it's intense enough to harm you.
Aiptasias under UV light would die in exactly the same way as a human would, so it requires the same type of deal. In fact, eye tissue is many times more sensitive and easily damaged.
I still don't get it. I mean... you are going to take the time to remove the rock from the tank, apply sunscreen, put on a helmet, and start shooting aiptasias with UV... seems like it would be far easier to just drip kalk on them. Additionally, reaching into the tank with sunscreen on your skin is a very bad idea.
If you are having trouble keeping up with them, then the tool I'd recommend is peppermint shrimp. Get a handful of them, as not all individual shrimps will touch it... but if you get 3-5 at least one or two will do it. I used 3 in my reef tank and it wiped out aiptasia... I'm now completely free of it, the shrimp have long aged and died, and the aiptasia has never returned, so they obviously got them all.
Just make sure you don't get camelback shrimp... LFSs don't always know the difference so familiarize yourself with the difference so you can make sure you're getting what you ask for.
I'm not gonna tell you your business... I mean if you want to do it, then do it - I would expect it is possible to build a device to that does it... whether it works well or not I don't know, but I do know that there are more efficient ways to go about this than this.

al mc

Depending on the other tank inhabitants Berghia Nudibranchs will also work..I have had good luck with them.
I agree with other posters. UV light at that level is too risky.