UV Sterilizer?

marine hobby7

I have been debating for some time now about getting a UV sterilizer because i have heard that blue tangs are ick magnets and mine has been occasionally itching on rocks and I know sometimes they do that, but i am worried for the future. I have researched all the pros and cons, but I am not sure if it is right for my tank so i am looking for opinions from other experienced saltwater owners. I have a 30 gallon fish only system with a firefish, xeranthemum cream angelfish, Catalina goby and a blue tang. I realize that the blue tang will out grow my tank and intend on giving him away when he does.

florida joe

UV sterilizers are good for certain applications sorry to say the eradication of ick is not one of them.

noah's nemo

Man,where to start....Fish are not ich magnets!If you do not have it,they will NOT get it..UV's will not solve your ich problems.May cover em up a bit,and make you feel better,but i doubt it will even do that.Baby or not,the blue tang does not belong in a 30 gallon tank for more than 4 weeks(which is proper QT time.),I don't even think your angel should be in there either....Turn your 30 into a QT and start hypo,then check on getting a larger system.Sorry,but this just does not sound like it will end well for your fish......good luck.

olemiss

Originally Posted by Noah's Nemo
http:///forum/post/3263520
Man,where to start....Fish are not ich magnets!If you do not have it,they will NOT get it..UV's will not solve your ich problems.May cover em up a bit,and make you feel better,but i doubt it will even do that.Baby or not,the blue tang does not belong in a 30 gallon tank for more than 4 weeks(which is proper QT time.),I don't even think your angel should be in there either....Turn your 30 into a QT and start hypo,then check on getting a larger system.Sorry,but this just does not sound like it will end well for your fish......good luck.
+1, also catalina gobies are cold water fish and will not survive in tropical waters. A dedicated cool water tank (chiller required) is needed if you want to keep it long term.

saltn00b

I have not used a UV in years. i don't see the point really. The tang police will be out to get you on keeping a tang, no matter the size in a 30g tank. And i support them! it is a common rookie mistake, but the fish will stress out and die, possibly taking others out with it. you made a good choice by signing up and trying to learn, it is the only way to protect yourself and your investment. welcome to the boards.

marine hobby7

Thanx for the advice. The fish store i went to told me the blue tang would be okay in my tank, but I guess I should not of trusted them. if i returned my angle, blue tang, and the goby would it be too crowded in my tank if i eventually got a 6 line wrasse, 2 clownfish, a lawnmower blenny, a cleaner shrimp, and kept my firefish? i know i am supposed to do 1in for 5 gallons, but since they are so small and if i add them very slowly and watch my levels would it work?

noah's nemo

Glad to hear your taking our advice,I think your new stock list sounds like a winner
....Just keep an eye on the 6 line,they can be bullies.

acrylic51

UV sterilizers do some good in tanks and do serve their purpose, but they have to be installed and run correctly and they must be maintained or their effictiveness drops off and then nothing. A UV sterilizer is only beneficial if the ich is free floating in the water column. For the UV to kill or alter the organism must pass through it. The UV might help make your water clearer, but so could other means as well that are less expensive to employ.