uv sterilizers

fau8

This is going to start a debate, but imho I would not do without one. I am using a coral life 36watt and have found it to be beneficial. There are a number of things to be aware of:
They do not keep your tank ick free, they will just help control the out break.
The most important thing about UV sterilizers is flow rate through the unit too fast and your unit will not be effective.
Reefers will tell you that they kill all your pods etc. This is true if they pass through the unit, but the majority of these creatures live inside your live rock and will not be free swiming through your unit. This is is my opinion, but this will probally be the item that stirs the gratest debate. Even though I have a setilizer I have been able to maintian a healthy pod population within my tank.
You need to replace the bulb annually.
You can increase the buld life by running the unit 6-12 hours a day. I however do run mine 24/7.

florida joe

I definitely think they have a place in the hobby. Remember you will have to deal with the added heat generated by the uv bulb

Thanks. I have a 90 gallon reef set up with a 20 gallon sump/refugium. I am running a current 1/10th hp chiller. What size of uv would you reccomend? Witch ones are the best and most affordable? I've been looking at the in line with a canister.

lion_crazz

Originally Posted by fau8
http:///forum/post/3028888
This is going to start a debate, but imho I would not do without one. I am using a coral life 36watt and have found it to be beneficial. There are a number of things to be aware of:
They do not keep your tank ick free, they will just help control the out break.
The most important thing about UV sterilizers is flow rate through the unit too fast and your unit will not be effective.
Reefers will tell you that they kill all your pods etc. This is true if they pass through the unit, but the majority of these creatures live inside your live rock and will not be free swiming through your unit. This is is my opinion, but this will probally be the item that stirs the gratest debate. Even though I have a setilizer I have been able to maintian a healthy pod population within my tank.
You need to replace the bulb annually.
You can increase the buld life by running the unit 6-12 hours a day. I however do run mine 24/7.
All great points here.
I like the Corallife UV units as well. For a 90, you will be able to get away with a 9watt, but if you have the extra cash, go with the 18watt.

My tank is not drilled. Could I put one in line from the overflow box to the sump? Would that be enough flow or do they need their own pump?

detane

i tried it and it killed a lot of my pods. Pods go everywhere in your sump, not just in rocks, everywhere. no UV in my tank.

I've been looking at a few different units, they dont have a flow rate on them. Do they need their own pump? Not sure what the best way to install one is.