Uv Sterillizer

fishcrazy2

I have a 90 gallon and ive had it for 4 years it has a 30 sump with a protien skimmer and i was wondering what yall thought of putting uv sterillizer in it??

jobob

i have one on my 55 reef. the water is cystal clear. i was having problems with ick. once i but it on the ich was gone! lol

lion_crazz

Benefits: Keeps water more clear, although if you have a reef, you should not have a problem with this anyway. Helps kill some free floating parasites.
Negatives: Will also kill free floating filter feeding foods such as phytoplankton if they pass through the UV.
That's all I can think of off the top of my head.

lion_crazz

Originally posted by msd2
I have one that I use only when I have a disease outbreak or intro a new fish.

Yeah, if I had one, that is all I would use them for as well.

who dey

they do work wonders with ick. i agree to only run if there is sign of disease or new intro of fish. thats the way i do it :yes:

tony detroit

I run UV and ozone on my reef. You will find that after years of reefkeeping adding phyto and other foods has little effect on free floating foods that are actually NEEDED in your reef tank. It has been my experience that all the food your corals need is already in the tank.
I run them to keep the water spotless and the fish healthy, and more less as a safety net. I don't think anybody needs them, but they are very beneficial.
I think the common misconception among aquarists is that after they add a UV or ozone they're going to starve all the filterfeeders to death. It has been my observation that they clean the water up so much that everything grows that much better.
All the people that told me not to run UV are people that have never tried it. Don't knock it till you try it.
Why don't you title a thread "Do you feel your UV sterilizer is beneficial". Then you can get input from people that actually use them.

larrynews

great thanks...my is also in the wet dry but i wasn't sure if that was the most effective place...thnaks