UV unit

T

thomas712

UV radiation, in theory, should disrupt the ability of a cell to divide by altering genetic sequences. For the sterilizer to work correctly, the water would need to be slow to stagnant under the radiation for it to have a positive effect on any parasites, grater bulbs perhaps having greater ability, and this just isn't the case. The transient time of water rushing by is too small to be effective. This is why it has to be set up correctly. Also to me this is one more possablilty of glass breaking in the UV, whether it be the bulb itelf, which gets covered in slime and reduces effectiveness, or the sleeve which also gets dirty and reduces its ability to work. I just don't think they are worth the money and they tend to kill the good stuff first.
Once again it won't kill ick on your fish, it won't kill any that are in the substrate. It can and will kill the benifical plankton in the water colum, I firmly believe that it will harm coralline spores in the water colum.
Many people will say the they are at least good on fish only or aggresive system.
All in all I think the reasons not to use them outweight the reasons for using them.
If you are using one for the purpose of trying to eliminate disease then I would suggest rather that you simply set up a Q-tank instead, you can do this cheaper than most UV setups, and the UV's that are cheap IMO will not give you the piece of mind that a Q-tank will.
Thomas

cincyreefer

I really like using UV sterilizers on any non-reef tank. They really cut down algae and keep the water crystal clear. I just use a powerhead to flow water through it, and have never had a problem with the quartz sleeve breaking or getting dirty as long the sterilizer is used after your filtration.