uv - yes or no ?!!!!

keith gray

I do not have a UV sterilizer. I am told they help with parasites and keeping the fish healthier. Does it control anything else like phosphates, nitrates, etc. ? How about algae control or any other plusses.
I am willing to spend the money if it is something that may really be beneficial. I actually have more corals than I do fish, so would it be beneficial to corals as well ?

S

saxman

Where's the choice for "I have one, tried it, and it's now in the closet." on the poll?
The thing to remember about UV units is that for a given organism to be affected, it MUST reside in the water column, so for many pathogens, which are either benthic or have a very brief phase where the critter in question is waterborne (e.g., ******), they really don't help.
As for algae spores, yes the UV should help, provided your flow and power of your unit are proper.
A good skimmer will do a lot more for your water quality, and you might even consider looking into an O3 generator.

acrylic51

Agree with Saxman.
Quote:
Originally Posted by saxman http:///forum/thread/380899/uv-yes-or-no#post_3315855
Where's the choice for "I have one, tried it, and it's now in the closet." on the poll?
The thing to remember about UV units is that for a given organism to be affected, it MUST reside in the water column, so for many pathogens, which are either benthic or have a very brief phase where the critter in question is waterborne (e.g., ******), they really don't help.
As for algae spores, yes the UV should help, provided your flow and power of your unit are proper.
A good skimmer will do a lot more for your water quality, and you might even consider looking into an O3 generator.

btldreef

Waste of money, I don't even use on in my QT anymore.
To add to what was said above,
IMO, they can cause more harm than good in your type of setup (not that many fish, but many corals). Keep in mind that while UV's kill bacteria, they can not determine good bacteria from bad and will kill of both. Corals can not survive in sterile water.

acrylic51

I do have to disagree to a certain point.....As stated by Saxman they do have their place and purpose, and yes they do kill, but BTLDreef the assumption they kill good bacteria????
Your correct it doesn't discriminate, but the good bacteria has to be free floating, and if the tank is properly functioning, the small amount that possibly is lost is replaced.......UV's will not sterilize your water....Now maybe if your talking about injecting ozone, you could have an issue, but UV: no way.....
It kind of comes back to a lot of people believe that a pod can't make it through the skimmer and the pump and the return pump....Again a misconception IMHO....
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTLDreef http:///forum/thread/380899/uv-yes-or-no#post_3316060
Waste of money, I don't even use on in my QT anymore.
To add to what was said above,
IMO, they can cause more harm than good in your type of setup (not that many fish, but many corals). Keep in mind that while UV's kill bacteria, they can not determine good bacteria from bad and will kill of both. Corals can not survive in sterile water.

btldreef

I wasn't trying to imply that they actually sterlize the water, but simply that they do not discriminate between beneficial or bad bacteria. To me, a fishless or lightly stocked tank is not the correct environment for a UV as it will tend to kill off more good than bad simply because of the biological load. If that makes sense
I'm on day 2 of no sleep...

levinjac

I have a uv now it does have the goods and the bads my water used to be totally brown i installed the uv within hrs it was gone BUT 2 of my fish died because i got rid of benaficcal bactiria now the up side i dont have any more algea pretty much more bad than good for me

S

saxman

"Beneficial bacteria" is benthic/demersal and colonizes the surfaces of LR, filter media, etc. Very little of this type of bacteria is found in the water column. Something else killed your fish (most likely the death of certain algae and/or flagellates in the water column that made it brown). Remember, when something dies, if nothing else, you end up with an ammonia spike.

scopus tang

Only thing I would add, is that in regards to the colonization of a new system, UV can considerably slow down the colonization of both beneficial bacteria and algaes (such as coralline) as the spores or bacteria cells do move/transfer through the water column. I wouldn't put a UV sterilizer on a new set-up.

u mike

I had one a while back now it is collecting dust, look into a skimmer if you want to better your tank.