vacation in Honolulu

gpyetiman

I :jumping: will be taking my family on vacation to Honolulu soon, and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on specific things to do with children there. Maybe someone could also suggest any LFS I could visit there.

fedukeford

i went to the big island and oahu last summer , it was AWSOME, try and go to black sand beach (im pretty sure it was on the big island) its a beach with sand that is volcanic ash, just looks like black sand, wakkiki beach is awsome too

threed240

I went several years back. By far the Lauo was the coolest, but i loved the pearl harbor memorial, and the north shore. There is also a blowhole on the other side of diamond head from waikiki beach. Where are you staying? I stayed at the Outrigger. It was very nice. Something else you could check out is some of the snorkling, its just Southeast of the north shore. I can't remember the name of it though. There is a barrier wall on waikiki beach for swimming. I kinda protects kids, people from some of the wildlife. And you may also want to make sure you have some swimming shoes on waikiki beach. There are some very jagged rocks in the water. Its were the sand gets washed out and exposes some of the old lava rock. There is some mountain you can goto the top of and look over the edge of a very high bluff. Its on the north shore. The wind up there is incredible. So don't wear any loose clothing, or hats. Best thing is just take a tour on one of the many charters. They can show you about everything. And have a great time, im jealous..

fedukeford

ya the lauos are AWSOME, i went snorkling once while i was there, HUGE schools of tangs, puffers, i even say a few Achilles tangs

threed240

No. I was only about 15yrs old, and my mom is very paranoid. Im 26 now, so it has been awile. I do plan to go back, hopefully sooner than later. It was a trip I will never forget.

kablamo

i'm trying to plan a trip to Honolulu and Waikiki around july 10th myself, unfortunately, we will be staying with my wife's pothead friends who live there, but it's way better than staying in oklahoma!

ltrain35

Hanuma Bay has some gorgeous snorkeling. Climbing to the top of diamond head is good too. Wasnt crazy about the Waikiki Aquarium. I will be going there again in Sept of this year. Cant wait.

poniegirl

Went to H'lulu once to buy a car, the zoo was great. Aquarium was a bit disappointing, considering.
I understand there are a few seahorse farms..don't know details. Thank heaven for yellow pages!

sethspst

There's a nice fish store off Kalakau Ave called Aquatic World. It's small but they have real good looking fish and they have a Display tank with seahorses and some other stuff. Another good store is Coral Fish Hawaii in Aiea. There are some good spots up on the North Shore to snorkel, better IMO than Hanauma Bay.