Vacation Question

swaziland

i WILL BE AWAY FOR 6 DAYS SHOULD i GET A FEEDER? 35 GAL TANK 4 FISH CORALS AND LIVE ROCK.WHAT TYPE OF FEEDER IS GOOD?

fishy7

Just a thought...
1) do you have anyone that can check on the tank
2) Is it a complete 6 days of no feeding. Or can you feed on one of those days?
Your fish will be fine with no food for 5-6 days

susiestank

I would not leave it without someone checking in on it at some point like a neightbor. I left mine for 3 days with feeder etc. thinking it would be fine.
The circuit that the tank was plugged into went out and I lost everything.
Never agian will I not have someone just come peak and makre sure things are on.

puffer32

But who will top off the tank, alot of evaporation this time of yr, i wouldn't risk it that long.

E

essop3

I leave my tank for 6 days every other week. I feed good before I leave and use a Kent Aquadose on a slow drip for top off. If you can get someone to stop by on day 3 or 4 I would though.

susiestank

Originally Posted by ninjamini
auto feeder $40.
Auto top off $70
a friend that mops up the floor when the tank overflows...priceless.

That is a great statement. That made me laugh and I am at my desk at work.
Im sure there are plenty times people have left successfully - but it takes 1 time and 1 thing for it to be all ruined.
I just ask my neighbor to come once a day to see all is in tack. You can offer to pay them etc. I usually just bring mine a gift from the trip.
All it takes is 1 thing that could happen on day 1 of the trip - I would try to get someone to come check for your own peace of mind.

debbie

One thing you could do when you have someone stop by to top up the tank is to put the right amount of food that you feed your tank into a small container so that all they have to do is open that up and dump it into the tank. They cannot over feed your fish that way. I do this all the time as I know my two boys would have over fed my fish many of times.
I use the empty camera film containers. They are washed out really well and left to air dry, I place the right amount of food into them and I have never had a problem with my saltwater in the 3 years in this hobby and 20+ years int he freshwater hobby. It works great.
As for the frozen foods, I cut up the right size needed for that tank use small pieces of saran wrap and there again all they do is add "one" cube if it is needed and I put it on the list for them to feed it.
Skip the auto feeders, I have seen some pretty horrible disasters with those.
Good luck and happy holidays....

susiestank

Originally Posted by Debbie
One thing you could do when you have someone stop by to top up the tank is to put the right amount of food that you feed your tank into a small container so that all they have to do is open that up and dump it into the tank. They cannot over feed your fish that way. I do this all the time as I know my two boys would have over fed my fish many of times.
I use the empty camera film containers. They are washed out really well and left to air dry, I place the right amount of food into them and I have never had a problem with my saltwater in the 3 years in this hobby and 20+ years int he freshwater hobby. It works great.
As for the frozen foods, I cut up the right size needed for that tank use small pieces of saran wrap and there again all they do is add "one" cube if it is needed and I put it on the list for them to feed it.
Skip the auto feeders, I have seen some pretty horrible disasters with those.
Good luck and happy holidays....

A good way I have foudn to set up food for people watchign is those pill boxes with the days of the week.

lesleybird

I use the tiny little zip lock bags from the container store. I leave the top off water in clean 1 gallon milk jugs and pay someone to come over once a day and feed and top off the fish tank. Lesley

jonfletch01

I left my for 7 days.. no problems... droped the overflow down so the water level would drop.. didn't need topping off til I got back.. and everything was fine... but like everyone says... if 1 thing goes wrong.... I guess I got lucky...