vacation

dglake

I presently have a dwarf lion, a clownfish and a domino damsel. I am going away for a week. Is it best to have someone feed the fish or will they be ok for a week. I have been getting mixed opinions.

mithrax

Hi, A week is just too long for them not to eat. they may end up attacking each other and the weakest becomes a meal. I would have somebody reliable to feed them at least two or 3 times during your absence.

cchung718

I also think that a week is too long. They'll probably survive through the starvation but most likely will attack eachother. Should have someone feed them at least once or twice.

charmin_fatcat

I agree with the above posts, a week is too long. Two days maybe, but a week? What about a friend/neighbor? There are also businesses that can come into your home to feed your fish, and they are reasonably priced. If you went through one of these companies and didn't want them fed 2x a day once should be okay. I have left my fish and have had someone else feed one time a day until I was back and everything went great. However, I would do tests on the tank to make sure all levels are okay before you leave so there aren't any problems. You can correct high levels an person who is just there to feed the fish can't. Good luck!

Have someone anyone come and feed your fish, last time I left on vacation they fed my fish but not my anemone and it had one **** of a feast on my fish........Just my 2cents

hugo

I will be gone for 3 days. I was considering asking a friend to feed my fish. Every time I have done this in the past (I had goldfish at the time) they were over fed and died. This time I plan to buy an automatic feeder and try that route. I don't want my saltwater dish to die like the goldfish died. They cost a bit more than $2 per fish.
I have heard that automatic feeders work well. You can preload the feeder with the right food amount and it just drops the food into the tank. My LFS sells them for $14.

D

diatom

What I did last time I went on vacation and had someone feed my fish is: I bought one of those daily (7 day) pill containers, that you see older people who take a lot of meds have. Put the amount of pellets in the daily container and then they could just open and dump without worrying about overfeeding. I bought 2, one for am feeding and one for pm feeding. Worked great!