valentini puffer compatibility

windy713

have a 20 gal w/ crushed coral substrate, florida live rock, and a valentini puffer. what are some small fish that i can add? tell me about my puffer and potential tankmates. thanx!

lion_crazz

I would only add one, maybe 2 more fish to that tank max. Maybe you want to go with a pair of clownfish? What did you have in mind?

lion_crazz

a fuzzy dwarf lion and valentini puffer would be fine in a 20, but that would completely max out your tank.

ruaround

The smallest recommendations in tank size I have seen for either of these fish is 30 gal. both being messy eaters and no clean up crew isnt this combo a set up for (for lack of a better word) failure? I am not saying it cant be done but...
Which raises my question... Is a tank size recommendation for the fish at adult size by itself or with tank mates?

windy713

Originally Posted by ruaround
The smallest recommendations in tank size I have seen for either of these fish is 30 gal. both being messy eaters and no clean up crew isnt this combo a set up for (for lack of a better word) failure? I am not saying it cant be done but...
Which raises my question... Is a tank size recommendation for the fish at adult size by itself or with tank mates?
I do plan on upgrading to at least a 46. this is just for now till i get my feet wet in the hobby. so do you have any suggestions(not clowns) something not everyone has.

5280_humu

To be honest you option are very limited. My sugestions would be either clowns of some sort or a damsel maybe a blue damsel. stay away from dominos though. They become extremly aggressive. I wouldn't really go with a dwarf lion. The toby puffers are known to pick ,and the lion might be too tempting to the toby in a smaller tank.

bailey52

5120 to hop on this thread.. and 4 strip damsels as aggressive as dominos? The one in my 90 has been by himself for 8 months now, i added a CB shrimp two weeks ago.. no prob just wondering if I add fish now will he bother them

edwar050

valentini puffers are nearly compatable with almost anything other than valentini puffers "depending on the size of the tank". I agree though you dont want to add much more bc you need to feed the puffer shrimp/seaweed mix daily. 4 mabye 5 fish in a 30. With the valentini I would stick to four 3 in fish. My blue devil damsel is overly aggressive to my puffer, always harassing him during my hand feedings "swimming backwards and rubbing his fin on the puffer". Cannot wait to get rid of those little buggers. If I was stocking a 30 with a valentini I would get a blenny, a purple firefish, and if not fully satisfied a bangaii cardinal.

lolly1

I am still in the researching phase of setting up my 55 gallong tank and am also hoping to add a valentini puffer. I have heard and read different opinions about the compatibility of it with corals. Any opinions on this...
Beth ***)

edwar050

It depends on the valentini. I believe you increase your chances on the age of the fish and ---. Males have blue lines and may be a bit more aggressive. I have a female and got her at a smaller size and feed her quite often. She is so docile I have even considered adding her to my 120 with cleaner shrimps.