Valentini Puffer in reef tank

1bigboy69

Can it be done?
I have a Tridanca clam in my tank, amongst a lot of other corals, and i didn't know if he would mess with them.

pinkh2

i had one the puffer ate and or picked on everything and anything it could fit in it's mouth
i would say no but i could have just had a demon puffer i hope this helps

zeromus-x

I've got a Hawaiian Blue-Spotted puffer in mine, similar to the Valentini... and he picks at everything. I figured it was worth a shot so I put a couple polyps in there... they didn't last three days. He doesn't mess with anemones though.

1bigboy69

That's why i took my lemon peal angel out of my big tank. He was picking at my clam.
so now he's in the basement 29 reef.

fishieness

sweetreef has a valentini and a spotted in his. no problems that hes told me.. but i still wouldnt recomend it

1bigboy69

I'm not going to take the chance with him, but i never seen him pick at anything in my 29 reef. I just didn't want him to go after the clam.
I actually just bought him 4 small crabs to eat from the LFS to wear his teeth down and he hasn't even touched them??
But i drop some Misis or brine shrimp in there he's all over them like white on rice!!
I never knew they could swim so fast!!

dstruked

Are there any puffers out there that dont eat and pick on everything. Would love to get one but not at the cost of my fish and critters
-=Bri=-

edwar050

Ive got a valentini with red shrooms, two types zenia, starburst, yellow polyps, two types of leather etc. In a 55. I feed my valentini shrimp twice a day and the puffers around 2-3 inches. I am always watching him and have heard they can live for a long period of time "20 or so years". I have had the puffer for roughly 6 months like this although I have only seen him puff up once-

ljn0221

my friend has kept a puffer in his 55 reef for a while it was all good until it got sucked up into the powerhead

A

andretti

I have one in my 125 and the only thing he bothers are the snails and shrimp. He hasn't sent anyone to "fishy heaven" yet.

darknes

I've got a Valentini Puffer in my 29 gallon reef, and it doesn't bother a thing! He's the nicest fish I could have.
I think it's a 50/50 chance on whether you end up with an aggressive one or not. Best thing to do is to buy one if it's what you really want, and add a few polyps to the tank. If he doesn't mess with them, he should be fine. If it does, you won't be able to keep it in a reef tank.

edwar050

I talked to an experienced reefer about the valentini "actually the reefer I bought it from" and she said that you have a much better chance if you buy a smaller valentini and then accustom it through quarantine to frozen foods like shrimp, crab?, and musscles. This way the valentini will be full. I have found that my valentini likes to eat out of my hand more than he does when I place the food on the bottom, crazy