Valmont ballast?

matro

Has anyone heard of a Valmont ballast? I got it with my tank. It came with a 4ft light with no markings on hood or bulb. The ballast has some info on it. Rapid start, for use with one F40WT12/RS, 120 Volts, 60HZ, .63 AMPS. It also has a simple wiring diagram which looks to be DC? It says to mount within 1/2" from a grounded hood. The diagram only has one "hot" lead and the corresponding lead (I'm assuming ground) comes from hood. Anybody know where I can get some info? Tried to google which met with cryptic results.
I would appreciate any guidance or info anyone can give.

stevenk

Valmount is out of business. They were bought by advance ballest. Advance has a web site for info and wireing info. You may not be able to reference your ballest, but if you put in the bulb, you will be able to see Advance's ballest that works with that lamp.

matro

I'm really looking for the current running through the system. I don't exactly know how to ground the hood. I understand an AC ground but if it's a DC, would the ground have to reconnect between hood and ballast? I'll try to "paint" a diagram to give visual.
Thanks Stevenk. I will try the site.
-Matt

69vette

Wouldn't the current be .63 amps?
Unless this thing is made for a special application, such as a motor home, there shouldn't be a DC circuit.
The ground will run from the wall receptacle to the ballast, then from the ballast to the reflector, or whatever the bulb sockets are mounted to (normally, the fixture).

matro

Wouldn't you consider aquarium lighting a special application? Thanks for the help. I just find the diagram confusing.

69vette

Originally posted by matro
Wouldn't you consider aquarium lighting a special application? Thanks for the help. I just find the diagram confusing.

Aquarium lighting isn't any different than household lighting, but I've never seen a schematic like this one.

matro

Exactly. It doesn't make sense to me. It looks to have one "hot" line, and two grounds. The guy that I bought my stuff from didn't know how to set it up either, so he just gave it to me and said good luck. I guess I'll have to wait until school starts.
Thanks for your time,
-Matt