Variable speed controller on a fan setup?

pyro383

Situation: Finishing my canopy and already bought a fan. 4" 90CFM 115v ac. I was wondering how and what is needed to allow the fan speed to be controlled by temp like the icecaps. If it is to intricate could I just put a dimmer switch inline and manually adjust for winter/summer speed? Any pics or diagrams appreciated along with parts from home depot or radio shack.

scubamedic

Maybe try doing some research on using a thermister on it. I know some computer fans use them to control the speed so maybe it would work for this to.

pyro383

I will give that a try. I also got a response on another board stating the use of instead of a dimmer to use a fan controller. My father brought up a point regarding that the fan is designed to run at 1 speed and that a controller may damage/burnout the motor since it is not running full speed. Anyone want to comment on that?

jamesp

I tried to put a dimmer type switch on my fan and the fan would only work if the dimmer was wide open. Anything less and the fan stop working. As pyro383 pointed out a fan is meant to run one speed and only that speed.
I'm sure there are fans out there that will handle lower voltages to do the variable speeds, i.e. blower motor for your car's heater.