venemous moray eels?

edward

I was at the Zoo the other day and noticed that the zebra morey exhibit had a caption under neath stating that "experienced divers know not to put their hands into rock crevices due to potential bite of venemous eels". Are there very many types of moreys that are venemous?? Any that are kept in aquariums??
Thanks-Ed

armageddon

I dont think venomous, but you can get a nasty infection because of the bacteria living in the morays mouth. Komodo dragons can cause infections from the baceria in their mouth as well. I dont know why i mentioned that.
Andrew

moraym

exactly as armageddon said, most eels arent venomous, but some species can kill you pretty easily due to the fact that the bacteria that lives in their mouth is so nasty. eels, just like komodo dragons, have bacteria in their mouths that isnt found anywhere else, and can give you an infection very easily.

moto757

i think i read somthing like that before on here about someone getting bit by an eel and everyone was worried about infection that is some nasty stuff probably worse then poison

moraym

i got bit in a freak thing by my moray, but no one was worried.
just use a lot of hydrogen peroxide right afterwards, and youre fine.
the place you have to worry is when youre out diving and medical attention is far away.

hurricanedrift

I was bitten by a green moray (entirely my fault as I did not initially see it) while diving off Gun Cay in the Bahamas. It was a pretty nasty bite. I had to take my boat to Bimini for treatment. Doctor was in Nassau that day but the nurse did a beautiful job stitching it up. (14 stitches) No infection of any kind and it healed beautifully.