venturi squirts water up in the air

jedimaster

Anyone every had a venturi pump squirt water into the air? What would be the cause of this? I can't figure it out. The pump is going into a skimmer, could it be that there is too much restriction for the pump? I am waiting for a bigger pump to arrive(love ebag), but I just wanted to try this one out til then. If I blow into te venturi tube I get lots o bubbles but as soon as I stop blowing into the tube It squirts water out again. I want to skim but not if I have to keep blowing into the tube. :)

u235a4

first what type of skimmer and second and not to make you feel dumb is it on the suck side of the pump

jedimaster

Berlin HO
I have the air tube connected to the hole in the water outlet side. I bought a turbo pump off ---- 3 weeks ago still has not shown up, I think I am going to apply to pay pal to get my money back

u235a4

the berlin's must be different then what i am used to... on my kent marines the v-tube connects to the suck side of the rio 2500's ..... when i get home from work i'll take a pic and post it

broomer5

You're either getting a lot of backpressure from the not having enough pump, or there's blockage in the water line to the skimmer.
But .....
I thought the Berlin HO has it's own venturi on the unit.
Don't you just hook airline tubing to this venturi fitting at the bottom of the hang on skimmer, and use a standard water pump ?
Are you wanting to inject aerated water from a powerhead or pump that has it's own venturi air port as well ?
I'm confused :confused:

jedimaster

Well I don't know where the venturi fitting for the HO unit is so i tried to use the venturi system with the pump.

Ya know thats kinda funny, this weekend i tried hooking up a cap 2200 that has a little hole on the water flow attachment to my protein skimmer(old seaclone). I connected everything then stuck the tube in the hole where it is suppose to suck air and the dam thing shot water straight out the tube where the air is suppose to get sucked in. So yes i know exatcly what your talking about.

broomer5

Okay I'll try to explain what I think is happening.
A venturi works because water is pumped or forced through a section of the discharge that gradually tapers down the tapers back up.
The point where it is most narrow is sometimes referred to as the "vena contracta " which I think is Latin for squeezed vein, or something screwy like that. Not sure - never took Latin.
This narrowing of the this section, or throat causes the water velocity to increase, and therefore the pressure must decrease at this section. This is where the venturi effect comes into play.
Once the water passes through this narrow throat, the throat gradually expands back to it's original size.
Because there is drop in pressure at the skinny point - if you introduce an airline here, it will suck air and mix the air and water - shooting it out the discharge of the powerhead as bubbley water. ( see Bernoulli's Equation for details if interested ).
But .... if you have the powerhead placed too far underwater, you basically introduce additional head pressure to the equation.
More pressure than that particular powerhead/pump's venturi is designed for ..... and it won't suck air anymore.
The venturi in effect does not work anymore, and it will do the opposite now - and just shoot out water in your face.
So try raising the powerhead up closer to the water surface, and not located so deep. It should start to suck air, once you blow air into the airline tubing to push out any water trapped in the tubing.
Of course on a hang on skimmer - this is not much help.
You're somewhat limited to the design of the skimmer intake vertical plastic intake tubing length.
I'd say - get another, better more powerful pump - and see if you can find the venturi nozzle on the Berlin HO.
It's gotta be there somewhere.

jedimaster

I'll send berlin an email, last time they sent me an impellor but I have no pump. :) I talked to the guyy I bought it off of ---- and he said usps returned it. he is going to send it via ups now, with a tracking number, so hopefully i get it soon, else I won't have any vision or water left in my tank. :)

broomer5

In the photo above - what is that skinny black cord or tubing running down from the top to the bottom ?

jedimaster

Thats the venturi tube, I can;t use that asI am missing the adapter, the guy I got it frrom, used it with a berlin turbo pump, you need to cap that tube off to use the turbo pump, I don't know if he forgot to ship the adapter, or I just lost it but, I know I can't find it.

fmarini

Heres an illustrated version of what Broomer describes -venturi effect.
This article describes the use of a beckettvalve(a 4 holed venturi) in a skimmer design, but
check out the bottom of the article in the explaination box, it goes into detail about how the reduction in pressure occur, andhow the water jet is formed.
here is a snippet of the explaination
"The familiar traditional venturi valve has a single air intake (called a pitot tube). Essentially, pressurized water enters the injector inlet, it is constricted (by passing through a restriction) toward the injection chamber and changes into a high-velocity jet stream. The increase in velocity through the injection chamber results in a decrease in pressure in the injector body. When a sufficient pressure difference exists between the inlet and outlet ports of the injector, a vacuum is created inside the injector body, which initiates suction through the suction port. At this point air is literally sucked into the vacuum space. As the jet stream is diffused toward the injector outlet, its velocity is reduced and it is reconverted into pressure energy (but at a pressure lower than injector inlet pressure), and the "microbubbles" are produced."
bottom line, when too much backpressure exists to force the water forward, it goes out the air intake hole.This will often happen when the water level in the skimmer gets too high, and the pump can't push hard enuf againist the water
frank

surfnturf

Someone already mentioned this in the thread, but have you tried putting an air tube into the intake of the pump? Just don't stick it too far into the pump, otherwise you'll be scooping impeller blades out of your tank. This gives you real small bubbles, perfect for a skimmer. This also cuts the gph of the pump at least in half.