Vertex Skimmer

I have a red sea prizim and i feel like it doenst to as good of a job that it could be doing. Anyone used a Vertex skimmer before?

stanlalee

otherwise they are great skimmers. they are designed by ex euroreef employees and are basically exact copies. the only drawback are the resun pumps which arent realiable in any application (also used in small octopus hang on skimmers and aquaeuro skimmers) even though they have upgraded shafts in the vertex line. its hit and miss though. some people never have problems, some people's break the first 10 minutes.

soulsigma

Originally Posted by Bountyhunter23
http:///forum/post/3063730
I have a red sea prizim and i feel like it doenst to as good of a job that it could be doing. Anyone used a Vertex skimmer before?
Customer Reviews

[hr]
5 Perfect Skimmer 12/27/2008 - by anthony clay from manteca, CA US
IMO, I could not have bought a more perfect Skimmer than the Vertex! I bought my used off of another Reefer on --, He had upgraded to a bigger Vertex, and now I see why! I will be upgrading my tank here within the new year and I WILL BE BUYING ABRAND NEW VERTEX! I moded the one that I did get, because it's on a 110 and I got the 100 series. I think that the mods might have not been needed because it really skims! This is an EXCEPTIONAL SKIMMER! where can I get the pump from though?

[hr]
5 It's a tough act to follow 11/21/2008 - by Percy Cairo from Winterville, NC US
. Took less than 20 minutes to read instructions and fire it up .This skimmer is quiet . Easy to dial in as it has a easy to find initial sweet spot .Turn ouput tube left for dry foam and right for wetter foam .I replaced the intake tube as it is too flimsy .This fix helps on not kinking the air intake tube .For the money u just cannot beat this skimmer for price ,quality of acrylic ,the bubble plate design ,ease of setup and performance .I am sure all new and old salts will be happy with this device . NOTE THERE IS TALK THAT THIS PUMP IS SUBPAR . TO REPLACE THIS IMPELLAR IS 30.00 .IMHO THAT IS NOT CHEAP AND TO BOOT THIS SKIMMER HAS A 1 YEAR WARRANTY .THIS IS JUST A WIN ,WIN SITUATION .

[hr]
5 Great skimmer for the money 09/27/2008 - by Jesse Wright from Fort Wayne, IN US
I have had many skimmers and have spent a small fortune in what I would like to call research. lol. This skimmer is a blend of a few. It has the neck of a euroreef, and the bubble plate of the msx series. I have owned aquaC, ETSS, MSX 160 and 200, octopus, and bermuda skimmers just to name a few:p. This skimmer has good build quality. I would compare it to an octopus as far as quality goes. One thing not mentioned is water height for the skimmer. The skimmer worls best on around 7 inches of water as far as I can tell so far. I think this would be the optimal water height for this skimmer. I made a small platform for mine out of eggcrate because my skimmer section was a 9 in water level. Took me about ten minutes and was up and going. Only been running about 24 hours but really impressed for the money. It has a pinwheel impeller. It everything you would get out of a euroreef at a fraction of the cost in my opinion. I would rate this better than or equal too theabove mentioned. the extreme skimmers mightpull more air but you deal with mesh. You put in the pinwheel and you have the same as what this does. ONE SIDE NOTE. It doesnt have a silencer for inlet air. Not too noisey but would of been nice to have one.

[hr]

stanlalee

http:///forum/post/3064698
That one is 199. The Octopus NW-110 Protein Skimmer is 149, and looks just like the AquaEuroUSA Classic 55.

then your looking at the wrong model or shopping the wrong place. the NWB-110 (which replaces the NW-110 and is the same diameter and uses the same pump) cost $159 almost everywhere. it adds a bubble plate, hurricone top (both which decrease turbulence) and orientates the pump for a straight shot instead of using the L pipe which increases pump performance is certaintly worth $10. the NWB-150 might cost $200 ($189 most places) but is 2" larger and has pump with twice the capacity. it replaces the NW-150 as the NWB-200 replaces the NW-200. the D
NWB 110 cost over $200 but its the recirculating version.
the funnel neck octopus NW-110 are exact copies of the old aquaeuro classic 55. the new aquaeuro classic 55 (that you are showing a pic of) is actually an exact copy of the discontinued
octopus TS-120
http://www.***************.com/coralvue/TS-120.jpg
BTW octopus, aquaeuro and vertex are all manufactered in the same chinese factory. in the case of octopus and aquaeuro whats once old to one brand often becomes new to the other (new NW-110 was the old aquaeuro classic body. new aquaeuro classic was the old octopus TS body). there are no differences in the body designs and manufactering. Vertex collection cups bolt right on to newer non funnel neck octopus and are often used to replace modded recirc octopus skimmers because the neck is longer allowing it to handle more air.
the big difference is aquaeuro and vertex both use resun pumps which are known to fail while OTP pumps are pretty reliable ocean runner clones.

stanlalee

http:///forum/post/3064728
here is the new 2009 model. it uses two L pipes
thats actually the recirc model (in which pump restriction is of little concern since its just looping and the skimmer is actually fed with a seperate feed pump). for some reason they released that pic for the NWB-110 and the DNWB-110 when its actually the DNWB-110. the NWB looks like a smaller version of the NWB posted up in the thread

briand7878

I have the Vertex 180. It was a pain in the butt for the first week or so but after that it seems to be doing pretty good. I bought this thinking I was buying something amazing but in all reality my coralife 65 made nastier sludge than the vertex. All in all I am happy with my purchase its great quality.