Vertical swim? What's wrong...

psychdoc

I posted my first message 6 weeks ago reporting high nitrates (well over 200) and the loss of several fish after 8 years of stability in my 75 g community tank along with a severe outbreak of HLLE on one of my fish (Lemon Peel).
Here is a brief update and then the bizarre behavior....with all other parameters still recording as normal except nitrates I have done 6 consecutive weekly water changes of 20 g each week , a thorough removal/cleaning of the 50-60 lbs of live rock, removal and cleaning of the bio balls from my wet/dry uniquarium, and a complete vaccuuming of the crushed coral substrate. All of this has resulted in the following:
Salinity = 1.023 (up from 1.019)
Ph = still 8.0
Ammonia = still 0
Nitrites = still 0
Nitrates = SLOWLY dropping...now hovering around 80-100, though still unsafe, this is MUCH improved from 6 weeks ago...finally.
My skimmer does not produce too much over the course of 48 hours, but I empty what little there is just to keep on top of it. I've added to the diet (my usual diet of brine, flakes, or Special VHP now soaks in Zoe each night, and I've added Mega-Marine Angel for the Lemon Peel).
The HLLE is finally clearing up on the Lemon Peel.
My large Cinammon Clown, four-striped damsel, neon purple goby, and brittle star, and cleaner shrimp are all still very healthy.
That brings me to my final remaining fish, the gold-tailed blue damsel (8 years old - original to the tank - same as the clown and other damsel).
A few days ago, the gold-tail blue damsel hovered in one spot low to the bottom for hours and showed no interest in eating. Unusual for him. Last night, he ate vorasciously again and acted normal.
Today, I noticed 85% of his tail fin is missing - cannot tell if it is erosion or if it was nipped off by a tank mate. As a result, this afternoon he is struggling to stay in the bottom 1/3 of the tank - it's as if his tail is filled with helium and he drifts to the top. In addition when he swims he now does so with with his tail toward the top and his head facing down - almost perpindicular. He is obviously struggling with his swimming, but all other indicators - his body, appetite, and appearance (missing tailfin notwithstanding) are that he is still healthy and solid. No evidence of HLLE, ich, scratchin, etc....only the tailfin issue in the last 24 hours.
Would missing that much of his tailfin throw off his swimming ability THAT much? Or is this symptomatic of something ELSE going wrong with my tank after 8 years of stability....maybe I'm overdue for a series of three 'events' to hit!
This is definitely not usual behavior for this fish. Is he just finally hitting old age? or will he return to normal when he grows back a signficant portion of his tailfin?
Will enjoy reading your thoughts on this latest mystery (to me).

I

ivanfj

I would suggest you monitor your water parm closely again in the next week or two. You have CC and I guess that's where all the nitrate was coming from. Switching to LS would be a good way to solve the problem completely IMO.
Do you notice any other fish was picking at your yellow damsel and caused the damage on his tail fin?? Since he couldn't swim very fast, I am afraid that other fish would start picking on him, if not already. And eventually become weaker by the days and die one morning.
Oh well, sorry my suggestions are kinda vague. I wish you best of luck.

stapler

If you dont mind, just out of curiosity, how long do fish live for? Take your clown for example, having it 8 years. Thats impressive to have a fish than long.
Hope things get better for you!:yes:

psychdoc

Thanks for your comments Ivan. I'm removing the CC substrate until it reaches 1" (down from 4"), but doubt I'll get rid of it entirely unless the nitrates stop coming down. But your is a consistent opinion to the many I've talked with. It may be my last option. As for other picking on the damsel, I've observed NONE of this. It likely occured, but he has survived MUCH more agressive fish over the years. THis is a fairly docile community tank at present...
STAPLER: I've had exceptional LUCK with my tank and fish. Over the course of 8 years I've certainly had my share of fatalaties, but most purchases have been in for the long haul.
My current fish in the tank for example, despite the high nitrate spike over the last (who knows how long it had been that high) 3 months or so, have been around for the following:
Cinammon Clown - 8 yrs
Gold-tail damsel - 8 years
4-stripe damsel - 8 years
Lemon Peel - 4 years
Brittle star - 2 yrs
cleaner snail - 8 months
neon goby - 2 months (new to tank...introduced just before noticing the high nitrates and is still going strong....hearty!)
Recent losses:
PowderBrown Tang - died in Feb after 6 yrs
Lunare wrasse - died last year after 4 years...may have outgrown tank size...he grew to nearly 7-8 inches long. A fast and active swimmer, it becamse too tough for him to swim in the 75g size.
Singapore Angel - died in 2001 after 3 years.
I've had other fish along the way, but these have been the heartiest and most notable.
I think I've had excellent LUCK with the stability of the tank, given my tendancies to let it run it's course with LITTLE maintenance other than water changes, UNTIL something significant occurs such as this. It has been 5 years since I had a case of ICH. Nothing since until this nitrate issue and loss of fish, HLLE, and bizarre fish behavior.
I would hate to give you expectations as there are far too many variables but this has been my history.
Helpful?

toughguy80

psychdoc if you have a quar. tank I'd put your gold tail in it! My blue fin damsel had fin rot and for a few days barely had any fins at all. I though for sure he was a goner, he could barely move. I figured I'd try treating him anyway and over the coarse of a week his fins grew back. Damsels are tough little buggers!:yes:

psychdoc

Thanks for the recommendation (and hope) for my damsel, Toughguy.
I have never maintained a quarantine tank, but I do not discount the importance of them...unfortunatley, I think I've been spoiled by having had really good luck with the longevity and relative health of my fish and tank...so it was never a consideration. I'm realizing it is time to make a change, mostly in part to the many positive reports and stories in this website.
Regards.