Very bad news for me and my fish...

eaglephot

Well, I officially have ich in my reef for the first time. I know what you are thinking, "Welcome to the disease!" Not QT my new fish came back to bite me in the... butt. I have read Beth's awesome thread about diseases. But, I have a few questions for the ich free tank masters. The only fish with visible Ich is my new
yellow belly blue tang.
How long do all of my fish need to be out of the display for ich to die for good?
How big of a clear rubbermaid do I need to get? I have large fish. (8-9" Bluespine Unicorn, 6" YB blue tang, 2-3" blue tang, 3" Yellow tang, true percula clown, royal gramma and a cardinal.)
How long can I keep all of my fish in the clear rubbermaid? Should I get two and split them up?

This is all new to me. I am a little nervous. I am leaving for AZ on Saturday but will start to cycle the QT/s before I leave.
Thanks for your help in advance.

sepulatian

If you have a 55 that you could use for a qt around, that would be better, if not then the rubber-maid bins will have to do. If you want to do two separate ones, that is completely up to you. If you are using one then get one that is pretty large. You will need a heater, power head, and a filter. If possible, use the filter media from the display filter. Cycle the tank(s) with some LR. You can also add a few cups of sand from the display for more biological filtration. The fish should be out of the display for at least six weeks, more is better.

eaglephot

Originally Posted by sepulatian
http:///forum/post/2514677
If you have a 55 that you could use for a qt around, that would be better, if not then the rubber-maid bins will have to do. If you want to do two separate ones, that is completely up to you. If you are using one then get one that is pretty large. You will need a heater, power head, and a filter. If possible, use the filter media from the display filter. Cycle the tank(s) with some LR. You can also add a few cups of sand from the display for more biological filtration. The fish should be out of the display for at least six weeks, more is better.
Wow. At least 6 weeks? This is where I am going to have to learn a new skill. Patients. But, if it means I never have to deal with this again, than I can do it.
I think I am going to go with the rubber maid. I don't have a 55 and don't know where I would put or store it. It would be better to have a 55 though. Alright, I am going to go place an order for my supplies.