very new to salt water

salt.mama

my tank is 2 months old and few days ago i got a mushroom coral and a button polyp . what are your thoughts on marine snow ?

mcbdz

Originally Posted by salt.mama
http:///forum/post/2491249
my tank is 2 months old and few days ago i got a mushroom coral and a button polyp . what are your thoughts on marine snow ?
You don't need it for these corals. That is more for sps and maybe deep water gorg.

lexluethar

Your calcium is too high.
What do you test for? Have you researched the causes of htis snow?
There are only a few absolutes in the saltwater hobby:
1. You must test your water, AM,Ni,Na, Cal, PH, SG, Temp are the musts
2. You must do water changes (regardless of what people claim)
3. You must READ
Those are the absolutes. YOu need to research and read.
So my questions for you are...
What do you test for?
How often do you test?
What type of water are you using?
What type of lighting do you have (since you have corals)?
How often do you do water changes?
How much?

mcbdz

Just make sure you keep your water para. In line. it depends on what mushrooms you have, but they really don't require you to spot feed them. I have a few that will take food but then some of the same kind that want. If your tank stays in good shape and you have a fish or twoo, believe me, they will grow.

Did you mention what lights and what size tank you have?
List your para. Actual numbers.
amm.
nitrites
nitrates
cal
phosphates
mag
PH
alk
SG
temp
and anything else you may test for.
What is your filtratio? GPH?
any more info on tank.

perfectdark

http:///forum/post/2491263
should i feed them anything ? i know they need the lights but i want them to grow
No just regular water changes and or testing your trace elements keeping the levels where they should be and they will grow and multiply quickly..

salt.mama

thanks for the info! i have a 14gal bio cube that is 2 months old.my temp is 79 ammo is 0 nitrites 0 ph 8.0 calcium 500 sg 1.024 my lights are the regular ones that come with the tank. i have no fish yet

mcbdz

http:///forum/post/2491298
thanks for the info! i have a 14gal bio cube that is 2 months old.my temp is 79 ammo is 0 nitrites 0 ph 8.0 calcium 500 sg 1.024 my lights are the regular ones that come with the tank. i have no fish yet
Ok, first, your lights will not sustain your corals, you will need to upgrade.
Work on you water levels.
SG- better at 1.025-1.026, slowly increase with saltwater top off until you reach desired SG
Cal.-needs to be around 420. This will improve with water changes with good salt and maturity hopefully. If not you may have to use a 2 part buffer
ph-8.2-8.3 best but more important that it stays stable, same with temp.

salt.mama

i also have taken the bio balls out and put in small peices of liverock with chem pure and a layer of floss over that i also have maybe 14 lb live rock and 20 lb live sand and a nano ph

veni vidi vici

Calcium @ 500ppm ,are you useing a calcium supplement? If not you might want to check your test kit.Also if you dont have any hard corals in your tank now i wouldnt worrie about calcium right now.I would upgrade lights but you should figure out what kind of livestock you plan on keeping first ,and work on keeping you ammonia nitrates,nitrate and ph in line along with getting Sg where you want it. IMHO
Do you know what kind of coral you would like to keep yet.

salt.mama

i dont use calcium sup and how would i up grade my lights i use oceanic salt and i would like to keep zoos mushrooms and softies

salt.mama

i would love to have a kenya tree are they hard to keep? i forgot to mention that i have a oceanic protein skimmer also

perfectdark

Originally Posted by mcbdz
http:///forum/post/2491316
Ok, first, your lights will not sustain your corals, you will need to upgrade.
Work on you water levels.
SG- better at 1.025-1.026, slowly increase with saltwater top off until you reach desired SG
Cal.-needs to be around 420. This will improve with water changes with good salt and maturity hopefully. If not you may have to use a 2 part buffer
ph-8.2-8.3 best but more important that it stays stable, same with temp.
I dont agree with this... you can hold any soft coral you want with the biocube stock lights and even some LPS. If you are questioning the credibility of my statments you can check out my thread in the nano section and a lot of other cube owners with stock lights.
There is no one specific gravity/salinity that is perfect for marine systems. SG has a workable range, within this range is considered acceptable. As a general rule, marine systems are best maintained between a specific gravity of 1.020 and 1.028, but can be seen as high as 1.030 avoiding changes of more than a thousandth a day. A higher than normal SG on your system, is not as stressful to your fish as you think. However the time it takes for your SG to change most certainly is. A few days is tolerable a few hours is devistating.
Your pH maybe ok depending on when you tested it. Just after your lights came on? Or when the lights were off? As far as calcium is concerned I would strive for what was mentioned 420 to 450 however lowering your salinity may just be all that is necessary to bring your calcium back down.
And lastly what instrument did you use to test your salinity? And what type of test kit did you use for your calcium. If you used a hydrometer then your issue may lie there. They are not very reliable, and often give false readings. Investing in a refractometer will help you out a lot.

veni vidi vici

http:///forum/post/2491347
i dont use calcium sup and how would i up grade my lights i use oceanic salt and i would like to keep zoos mushrooms and softies
Ahhh ok Oceanic has like 580ppm calcium.You would have to buy new light fixture.Do you have Power Compacts now?

mcbdz

Originally Posted by PerfectDark
http:///forum/post/2491379
I dont agree with this... you can hold any soft coral you want with the biocube stock lights and even some LPS. If you are questioning the credibility of my statments you can check out my thread in the nano section and a lot of other cube owners with stock lights.
There is no one specific gravity/salinity that is perfect for marine systems. SG has a workable range, within this range is considered acceptable. As a general rule, marine systems are best maintained between a specific gravity of 1.020 and 1.028, but can be seen as high as 1.030 avoiding changes of more than a thousandth a day. A higher than normal SG on your system, is not as stressful to your fish as you think. However the time it takes for your SG to change most certainly is. A few days is tolerable a few hours is devistating.
Your pH maybe ok depending on when you tested it. Just after your lights came on? Or when the lights were off? As far as calcium is concerned I would strive for what was mentioned 420 to 450 however lowering your salinity may just be all that is necessary to bring your calcium back down.
And lastly what instrument did you use to test your salinity? And what type of test kit did you use for your calcium. If you used a hydrometer then your issue may lie there. They are not very reliable, and often give false readings. Investing in a refractometer will help you out a lot.
On the lights, you are correct. I forgot it was the biocube and was just thinking stock lights on a regular tank. Thanks for clearing that up.

perfectdark

Originally Posted by Veni Vidi Vici
http:///forum/post/2491397
Ahhh ok Oceanic has like 580ppm calcium.You would have to buy new light fixture.Do you have Power Compacts now?

I use oceanic and get 450ppm readings consistantly...Different batches may yeild different readings but I am on my second batch and my levels have not changed. My SG is 1.026 measured with a refracometer.

veni vidi vici

Originally Posted by PerfectDark
http:///forum/post/2491420
I use oceanic and get 450ppm readings consistantly...Different batches may yeild different readings but I am on my second batch and my levels have not changed. My SG is 1.026 measured with a refracometer.
I didnt take into consideration that different salts will have different amounts of elements.My salt dosent have that high of a concentration of calcium,so i was wondering.

salt.mama

thanks for the info, today is the first time i have talked to anyone im so glad to have figured this thing out (almost).i love this! so does my tank sound complete? or is there anything else that i need? anything about the kenya tree?

mcbdz

http:///forum/post/2491442
thanks for the info, today is the first time i have talked to anyone im so glad to have figured this thing out (almost).i love this! so does my tank sound complete? or is there anything else that i need? anything about the kenya tree?
Never complete.
ADD ADD ADD

Until you upgrade that is.