very odd behavior from Diamond goby

fuzzylion44

My 72 gal tank has been up and running for over a year and a half. All chemicals are salinity are in check except for nitrates which are through the roof and even after treatements and water changes i cant get down. My diamond goby disappeared for 2 months i moved stuff aound the tank and everything and still couldnt find him! Mahically he showed up last night but acting weird. Hes sluggish doesnt want to eat, lays in the same spot for 4 plus hours, shallow breathing, bloated stomach no scratches scraped protruding scales.....seemingly no external damge or parasites. Ive tried looking it up but the only thing close is dropsy it doesnt seem right though. Just a few minutes ago it seemed like her was trying to throw up? Any suggestions? Im going to do another water change tomorrow. I normally do 25 gallons but tomorrow im gonna try to do 50 gallons.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
It sounds like you are having problems with environment. High nitrates. This is likely due to how you have your tank set up, the water source that you use.
You can't really treat fish within the display tank, so adding meds is not a good option.
Start working on the problems with your tank that is producing high nitrates. Describe your set up.

fuzzylion44

i do use normal tap water but i treat it with prime and let it sit for a few hours to remove contaminates, i also use instant ocean brand salt. Ihave a sump filter with reef octopus protein skimmer. I do use bio balls but have a media filter pad on top that i constantly change out after each water change. I only use seachem and kent supplies from buffer, to iodide, calcium and magnesium. I have t5ho lights which are on a timer from 12:00 UNTIL 9:38 PM My tank mates are 2 rose bubble tip anemone(mine slpit), 2 mated pair black and white clowns who lays eggs and then eat them x 4 mos, a foxface rabbit fish, 2 peppermint shrimp, and a lawnmower bleny. I just removed my fuzzy dwarf lion who was also in that tank and moved her to a separate one by herself. I also have about 70lbs of live sand and 80lbs plus of live/lace rock

beth

Administrator
Staff member
i do use normal tap water but i treat it with prime and let it sit for a few hours to remove contaminates
You need to test your freshly made salt water and see how much nitrates it has in it. Additives, etc., will not eliminate nitrates. You should be mixing up your salt water for 2 days using a powerhead.
I do use bio balls but have a media filter pad on top that i constantly change out after each water change.
Bio balls and filter pads are common culprits for creating conditions in aquaria that will result in poor nitrate export. Basically reliance on these mechanical filters are poor at completing the filtration process--removing nitrates from the fish tank. Biological filters such as live sand and live rock, are very good at this and are much better filter choices. I would ween off the bioballs, and the ween off the filter pads, since you already have natural filters going. Perhaps replace them with a refugium?
I only use seachem and kent supplies from buffer, to iodide, calcium and magnesium.
Why are you using these additives? Do you have corals? Do you also take readings for these additives in your tank to see if they are needed?