Very odd swimming worm found in my tank

hermitkrab

I was going to play a computer game today but before I did that I wanted to check up on my tank. When I went into the room I noticed right away something odd. There was this red streak flying all around my tank very very fast. It was red and my only fish currently is a Green Chromis so right away I became very curious. As I got closer I noticed it was a worm. A very very odd looking worm though. I was swimming very fast also, similar to the movement of an eel. It is small, about an inch long. I caught it in a net. My chromis didn't know what to do because the worm was just randomly flying about the tank as though it was on fire and blind. So after I caught it I put it into a dixie-cup with no water. Then I added water and the thing went back to its regular size. Because it seemed when out of water it became enlongated. Also it seems to only have two eyes but they could be compund eyes. Its sides are like a feather (probably its many small legs for movement) and as I said it moves like and eel (side to side). It has two antennas and its head seems almost insect like. So I hope someone will be able to identify this worm like creature quickly and tell me as much about it as possible. I also, of course, want to know if it is good or bad. Thank you.
P.S.
I will try and add some pictures of it to help identifiy it.

wintergodn

sounds like a flatworm to me but i have never heard of the larger types on tanks, but it looks like a bristle worm in the pics

hermitkrab

Shape and colors are similar to a bristle worm. But it swims and has an ant like face. Also def. not a peanut worm. Thanks for the help. But I'll need a sure identification before I place him back in my tank.

bigarn

Does it look like it has pincers on the head part? Really strange, but the more I look at the pics and go over the description it almost appears to be a sandworm or bloodworm. Most sandworms come from Maine though ....

hermitkrab

Looks a lot like a sandworm/bloodworm but I'm not sure. How do these worms move in the water? Do they swim? And if yes, should I put him back in? Is he good/bad? Thanks.

bigarn

lol .. the only thing I know about them is that they're good fishing bait around here. Unless there's tropical varieties I can't see how it could be either one. Stranger things have happened though I guess ... now I'm curious!

reefiness

i dont know what it is but i would go with the blood worm. and about putting it in i woulnt because i mean u didnt pay for it so throwing it out would not be a bad idead being that its only swimming around and is gona scare all the fish.

1journeyman

Originally Posted by reefiness
i dont know what it is but i would go with the blood worm. and about putting it in i woulnt because i mean u didnt pay for it so throwing it out would not be a bad idead being that its only swimming around and is gona scare all the fish.
I'd go just the opposite with my opinion... some of the most "unique" life in a reef tank comes in as hitchikers.
I'd go out and by a breeder trap that you could place in your tank, and place the "worm" in it back in your tank. That way you could watch it and see what it does.

unleashed

I would not put it back in the tank .#1 you have no clue what it is.#2 you dont know if its harmful or not.#3 bristle worms do not swim about in the tanks.neither do peanut worms. not knowing exactly what you have found .yes it could be harmless.but it could also be harmfull. I suggest taking the specimen to you LFs maybe they can help identify it for you .this could be a preditorial parestite.

bergamer

i know what it is, i remember seeing that critter in one of my reef books, i will have to find and post it