very strange occurance...

neoreef

So,
I was checking on my clownfish larval tank this morning, and while counting its rotifers under the microscope, I was struck by the image of a shrimp larva scooting around. !!!!
I did start hatching SF brine shrimp last night, but those have not hatched yet, and this looks different from newly hatched brine shrimp. It is longer, has a very straight, long tail and the yolk sac is not there by my estimation.
I have been doing water changes on the larval tank, with water from my display, but I filtered it through a coffee filter before I added it dripwise to the larval tank.
What are the odds that my cleaner shrimp's eggs hatched at the moment I was siphoning water out of the display, they made it past the filter, through the drip, and just happened to be in the 1ml sample I pulled from the larval tank to check this morning?
I am at a loss to explain it. Anyone care to try?
Kathy

thegrog

I have absolutely no idea as to the answer to your question. Off hand I would say the odds are slim to none......if they are go buy a lotto ticket because luck is with you.
I just want to say that those are way cool pics!!!!!!!

If you do figure out what they are, post and let know as I am curious as well!

neoreef

Dr Ron says it is a brine shrimp late stage naupli. So it may have come in with the eggs from the parent tank.