very strange problem...

townsdp

I recently filled my new 75g with ro/di water. It took about a week adding 2-3 g after the system filled up. During the entire fill up process, the water was crystal clear. Once I got it to the top, I turned on the 3 maxi 900's to circulate it. no filter. I have one ph at the bottom upside down running a spraybar to blow under the liverock, but no substrate or lr. I have had a previous prob. with suction cups falling so I used Wal-mart Mainstays clear silicone to attach the cups to the glass. no glass top, but an open-back canopie on top. Problem is, water got cloudy and when you look from the bottom into the light, you can see the clouds of "smoke", for lack of a better description. it is like a dust in the water. The tank is in my kitchen with a lot of indoor/outdoor traffic. Dust maybe? or is it the silicone?

thangbom

well dude.. i see 2 post.. so u incase u dint know u can just click on the ' post reply' thing at the bnottom to add onto a trend... anyhow... i dont think it's dust that your are seeing but a film of scumm like.....?? well if it is this film then it's normal... u just need a surface skimmer/filter to rid of it.... o have a 400+gph powerhead on the oppisite side of my overflow box that i point in the direction of the overflow to push the film to my ovferflow to get filtered out by my sump & skimmer..

townsdp

if it is d/i dust, is it ok? will a hob filter clear it up in a few days? I have time, no rock, sand, or salt will go in it for a week or so.

townsdp

that's good but it also sucks because I just finished draining the entire tank about 5 minutes before I read your reply. I am in the process of refilling it now. We'll just call the first time "practice". thanks for the info.:rolleyes:

townsdp

I have filled up about 5" of water so far and I am paying closer attention this time. The water is not over any new silicone and the top is constantly covered with a large trash bag. After draining, there was a white film over all of the glass that I wiped mostly off. The new water was crystal clear after going in and up until I went to bed. This morning, it is smoky. I guess it is definitely ro/di dust. Hopefully the sump, fuge and lr will clear it up after it gets going. It kinda worries me though. Is there anything wrong with my ro/di kit or will it subside?

reefraff

One possible problem I saw is the silicon you used, I amnot familar with the name. Did it say "Aquarium safe"? Some of the silicone that is for kitchen and bath have anti fungal chemicals in them that are not a good thing for a reef. Make sure yours doesn't have them.