VHO Ballasts

cmack

I'm trying to decide what type/brand of VHO ballast to use. I want an Ice Cap 660, but they are kinda pricey. I've recently seen alot of vendors selling Coralife VHO Electric ballasts, Does any one have experience with the Coralife ballasts?
How do they compare to IceCap?
(Tank is 90 gal, will do 4 bulb set-up)
Thanks

gregzbobo

PFO makes a nice ballast I've heard. I plan to get one myself, mainly because of the good things I have heard, and the price is right. I'm getting a 4 bulb unit thats already wired with endcaps and I believe its gonna cost about 170 bucks, not including the timers I plan to get.

E

equent

i made my own lighting and ballast set up for les than half the price-
you can but the end caps- and a ballast from home depot- and put it together and you will have killer lights-
i currently have 2 vho 75 bulbs on one ballast and 2 20 watt bulbs on a another- and on 2 different timers that i put togther-
all this on a 20 galllon it is assume-
it will cost much less

eng50

I use helolights 3 vho setup, works perfectly, and at $125.00 can't beat it (other than homemade) but I prefer something that is professionally made...HTH

gregzbobo

I also prefer manufactured items, especially electrical. I'm not an electrician, not even all that conversant with wiring. I can install a ceiling fan, or replace a light switch, but thats about the limit of my meager abilities.