VHO bulbs & algae

i like fish

I seem to remember reading that old bulbs can cause algea outbreaks.
I have 640 watts of VHO on Icecap ballasts over a 2 year old 125 gallon tank . My bulbs are 10 months old and I plan to get new ones at 12 months.
Is it possible the age of the bulbs is partly responsible for a few patches of hair algae I discovered about 2-3 weeks ago?

coralfrag

I like fish
Of course, anything is possible. However, I'd check your water quality parameters first. In a two year old tank Ammonia and Nitrite should not be a problem. Nitrate could be a problem. Phosphates could be present. Over feeding could play into this equation.
Questions, What water sourse do you use for evaporation makeup and water changes? What type of filter system do you use? How often do you do water changes and how much?

i like fish

My top-off is RO/DI, (Kent Maxxima).
I only feed twice a week, frozen cubes of mysis, dapnia etc.
Water changes could be the problem. I used to do 10 gallons weekly, now it's more like every other week to every 3 weeks. I need to get back on my old schedule.

h2oengr

Maybe it's just the engineer in me, but the bulbs are either gonna work or they won't. The age of the bulb shouldn't matter and I don't care who told you that. They have got to be full of it. Seriously, either it works or it doesn't. I wouldn't worry about the age of the bulb. That certainly shouldn't be affecting your water parameters. :D

i like fish

The bulbs still work, but the spectrum changes. That's the theory anyway. The same goes for UV bulbs for reptiles and plant bulbs for houseplants.
Weather or not this has anything to do with algae is what I'd like to find out.
I think the water change issue may be the culprit though.

h2oengr

I've had iguanas for years, I've never believed that whole story about the bulbs. Sorry, I think it's a good reason for us to head out and hand our LFS or pet store another $100 bucks or so. I just don't believe the hype/theory.

greatfullreefer

IMO and personal experience after 9 months based on 7 hours per day the spectrum will indeed change and could possibly cause a green hair algae outbreak. We all have to make decisions in this hobby, for myself shelling out a 100 bucks or so every 9 - 10 months is a drop in the ocean so to speak. The human eye may not notice the difference but the photosynthetic corals surely will. Just like a coral may not notice a 30% reduction in oxygen in the room where the tank is situated, but im sure i would :)

i like fish

When I bought my Icecap ballasts, I was told the bulbs would be good for a year, that's why I change them yearly. If in reality, they start to decline after 9 months, that's what I'll do. It was never a question of spending the money on bulbs, just if they needed it.
I guess I'll go on a 9 month rotation with bulbs now.
And keep up with my water changes :happyfish

benj2112

Originally posted by H2OENGR
I've had iguanas for years, I've never believed that whole story about the bulbs. Sorry, I think it's a good reason for us to head out and hand our LFS or pet store another $100 bucks or so. I just don't believe the hype/theory.

Does your iguana grow more or less as the bulbs age and the light specrum they radiate changes? Oh, wait a minute...that is algae...I guess iguanas are green, though. :D

doodle1800

Maybe it's just the engineer in me, but the bulbs are either gonna work or they won't. The age of the bulb shouldn't matter and I don't care who told you that. They have got to be full of it. Seriously, either it works or it doesn't. I wouldn't worry about the age of the bulb. That certainly shouldn't be affecting your water parameters. :D

I might disagree H20.. Think about it... flourescent lights don't go out all the way in some cases - they can be 1/2 lit, flicker, until they die. So - what kind of lights are VHO's? Are they like incandescents?

golfish

That's way way out there..