VHO length question

swilbs83

If I have a 48" tank(standard 75g), do I get the 46.5" or 48" retrofit kit...(I am getting the kit from hellolights and am building a hood myself).....I was about to buy the 48" but then I saw the 46.5" and didn't want to make a mistake...thanks for your help

T

thomas712

The 46.5 is made because when you add the endcaps you get 48" total. If you buy 48" bulbs and put the endcaps on you will get 49.5 inches. Measure your inside hood to see which would fit better, both are 110 watts, if both fit go for the 48" if not use the 46.5".
Ah I looked again and you are building your own hood. OK if you are going after a 2 bulb kit you could angle them to fit a 48 inch hood if you are going after the 4 bulb kit then just build your hood a little larger for the 48" bulbs. In this case I would go for the 48 " bulbs because in an emergancy and you need bulbs now they will be easier to get locally instead of trying to order a 46.5" bulb and having to wait.
Just my 2 cents
Thomas

frankl15207

48 inch will BARELY fit inside of an All-Glass brand aquarium canopy. 46.5 are more difficult to find, but most major mail-order companies that carry VHO bulbs have them. Locally I haven't seen them around this area.

tangman99

I have an AllGlass 90 Gallon tank and I went with the 46.5" because the 48" would not fit with the 3 piece endcaps with the support sections in the canopy. I also mounted an icecap fan on the side of the canopy. The thickness of the fan along with the one light behind it was a tight fit.
With what the local LFS' charge for drygoods, I would never even consider buying lights from them. You can order a spare and keep a couple of changed out lights for extras in case of an emergency.
Tangman

broomer5

If you're starting from scratch - and building your own canopy - go with the 45.6" length if you want your canopy "flush" with the sides/ends of your 48" long tank.
If you go with the 48" bulbs - as mentioned - you're canopy will have to stick out over either end of the tank. This is not a good thing or a bad thing ..... it's just a thing to consider.
I went with 45.6" and 3-pc endcaps. Canopy is 48" in length -flush.