VHO Lighting Fixture

dueces

I am looking for a 36" VHO Lighting fixture. I can find some of the retro fit kits but I would like to buy one all ready put together. Anyone know what is a good company (Hamilton, PFO lighting or ????)?
Also I have a 46 gallon tank and with this fixture I would have 4 x 95w = 380 watts. Which would be about 8 watts per gallon. Is this to much light? My LFS said that it would be a waste.
Right now I have 192 watts which is 4 watts per gallon.

scsinet

Whether it's a waste or not is a matter of what you plan to keep in the tank. If you are keeping stony corals, clams, anemones, etc then I'd say it's not a waste at all.

jacksonpt

do you want VHO specifically?
There are some nice PC fixtures available, but VHO seems to be harder to find, at least from my experience.

dueces

I was also looking at the Current orbit 96w x 4. I have the ORbit now but it is just the 96w x 2 and I want more Light. Which would be better?

jacksonpt

Which would be better in terms of PC or VHO? In the grand scheme of things, they are probably about the same. I've heard people say they like that actinic coloring in VHO better, but...
If you want more than the 2x96, go with the VHOs. I think I've only seen 1 4x96 PC fixture and it was a small fortune.

dueces

Why can't I find more VHO Fixtures? Do they come more in the retrofit then in fixtures. I have a LFS that sells them but they don't have any 36".

bigun

I have a coustom built light for 3ft (36") VHO bulbs it has 3 new URI bulbs in it and the ballast that runs it is a Ice Cap 660 It allso has 6 dim-able moon lights bult in it.It comes with the legs for it to sit on the tank & has cables so it can be hung from the ceiling.It allso has a fan to keep it cool. I got it in and pluged it in for about 10 minutes and it was to much light for the small tank I got it for.It should work great on a 46 gallon. I would like to get 400.00 for it.I can take paypal as payment