vho lighting?

B

b.b.bigbrother

I'm looking at hamilton vho system for $200 48". i have 55 gal with power compact smartlamp 120watt with 50/50 bulbs, also have double light strip florescent with 1 super atinic and 1 super daylight 20k 40watt bulbs "i believe" do these florescents really do any thing for corals? the vho comes without bulbs. my question is i'm really tight with cash "lay offs maybe me" and just thought maybe these would be ok addition. I noticed ice cap vho are alot more $ i dont plan on going crazy with corals right now just trying to get familliar with polypse,live rock,and easy to keep corals. should i bother with hamilton vho or not? sorry its so long, thank you for any info.
:rolleyes:

wamp

If I were adding VHO (which in my opinion is the best choice other than halides) to a 55 gallon tank, I would run 4. Maybe 2 50/50 and 2 actinic or 2 daylight and 2 actinic. Just depends on the amount you want. I really like the 50/50 bulbs in VHO. They look really good and corals seem to do very well under them.
A NO flourecent does not do alot for corals. Maybe some shrooms etc.. but for most corals they are not enough light.

ak_reefer

I just received and installed my VHO's yesterday to my system and boy do I love them. I am running 4 95w VHO and 2 96 w PC. I got a really good deal on my VHO thru <a href="http://www.hellolights.com" target="_blank">www.hellolights.com</a> they have great prices and customer service. They have VHO retros to add to your hood you may want to check them out. I think there 4 bulb 46.4 inch retro w/bulbs runs about 240.00 .

efrank

Others can correct me if I am wrong but you can already keep basic corals with the lights that you have. I have the same PCs on a 55g and have started with a mushroom and a leather toadstool and they are doing very well.
Why lay out the cash if you are short and don't really need to for what you want to keep.

B

b.b.bigbrother

Thanks for info I do have polypse and mushrooms my lights are close to being sufficient but just want to get rid of floresent. only have two 65w power compact they are good, but i wanted to use 2 vho with them.

B

b.b.bigbrother

Thanks for info I do have polypse and mushrooms my lights are close to being sufficient but just want to get rid of floresent. only have two 65w power compact they are good, but i wanted to use 2 vho with them. I "someday" will get bigger tank with metal halides if i'm doing good with tank. Today i figured out what i should do,i should buy icecap ballast that supports 2-4 bulbs instead of hamilton set up thats only 2. build canopy and retrofit $50 more . I'm slowly learning before i had no idea about lights i figure if i get tank cose to 48" ican still use the lights and all i will have to buy is metal halides. P.S Today i found out monday i'm going to work at company that we merged with i'm glad because my company made poor decisions and never fixed designs it really pissed me off. I'M GOING TO CHECK OUT THAT SITE FOR RETRO KITS TO COMPARE PRICES. sorry again fo it being so long I HAD TO SHARE GOOD NEWS this BB helps me imensly i'm going to repay SWF bye buying what i can from them. I WISH THEY HAD LIGHTS :p

jakob4001

try <a href="http://www.***************.com" target="_blank">www.***************.com</a>
we got our 48' 4 bulb supported for $139 w/o bulbs;
we bought the LN retro kit; they had good prices on the bulbs as well & came w/ all the pieces you needed except the mounting clips including the water tight endcaps

B

b.b.bigbrother

Hey ak_reefer that place is great i can get retro for 4bulbs cheaper than the lights i was going to buy i want to build canopy so i can remove glass to how high off the water is the most i can go any one know with vho? :cool: THANKS ALOT!