VHO or PC?

murray bmf

It really depends on the type of corals you have. Different corals have different lighting requirements. I have had both and for the type of livestock I have, VHO works best for me. what kind of corals do you have or plan on getting, this type of information is important when making a choice on lighting.

bang guy

Theoretically PC should be a lot better. The bulbs are thinner and should provide 50% more intensity.
In my experience VHO is much much better. I can't explain it.
Bang

krowleey

PC is the better choice, last longer, more light output, VHO is the whats popular right now next thing it will be screw in bulbs.

enomadra

IMO I think PC is better. I have tried both and I just like the look that the PC bulbs give off for tank. My coral seem to respone better to it also, and I have 2 anenomes that are doing great, one that was pure white when I got is and is now turning brown (which I think is a good thing):D

fishphreak

PC, VHO, and MH lights are all perfect choices for corals. You can use whichever you like best or best fits for price range.
What you really need to keep in mind is the wattage. For soft and mushroom coral you need between 3-5 watts per gallon. For hard corals you need more like 7-9 watts per gallon. (7 is usually more than enough). Although I read that MH is the better choice if you tank is more than 24 in. deep.

jhueb12

Right now i'm running MH w/ PC. Before it was purely PC and because of the depth of my tank it was hard to keep corals that required more intense light. VHO give you more watts per bulb than PC.

P

pet lover

:notsure:
ok, What would be a good light for carpet anemones please ???
:thinking: And maybe a few polyp corals, mostly a FOWLR
tank. Maybe 2 anemonees and 2 or 3 corals...
Maybe 1 cabage coral but first a carpet anemone..
Tank is a 125 and 24" tall.
Thanks in advance:joy:
:happyfish :happyfish :happyfish

bang guy

Originally posted by Pet Lover
:thinking:

HID is the only option for Carpets..

P

pet lover

Originally posted by Bang Guy
HID is the only option for Carpets..

Thank you for the reply but what is HID please ???
I am sorry to sound stupid but I don't know much about lights..
Is that a form of MH ?:notsure:
Thank you for educating me : )

P

pet lover

Originally posted by Pet Lover
:thinking: And maybe a few polyp corals, mostly a FOWLR
tank. Maybe 2 anemonees and 2 or 3 corals...
Maybe 1 cabage coral but first a carpet anemone..
Tank is a 125 and 24" tall.
Thanks in advance:joy:
:happyfish :happyfish :happyfish

Sorry!
It's 18.5" not 24".........................................

bang guy

HID = High Intensity Discharge. Metal Halide, Mercury Vapor & High Pressure Sodium fall into this category.

P

pet lover

Originally posted by Bang Guy
HID = High Intensity Discharge. Metal Halide, Mercury Vapor & High Pressure Sodium fall into this category.

Thank You!

jlem

Originally posted by FishPhreak
For soft and mushroom coral you need between 3-5 watts per gallon.

In shallower tanks you could keep mushrooms with Normal Output lights. In a 55 I kept mushrooms under one 4ft 10K bulb and one 4ft Actinic.