vho retrofit question

J

jasonk

Hi, i'm looking at getting a new vho kit for my tank. it's an ARO 48" 4 lamp retrofit kit and it's running for $168. since i can't post a link, here are the details
48" 4 Lamp VHO Retrofit kit for 440W of power!
Lamps are not included
Included in PRE-WIRED Retrofit Kits:
* Electronic ARO Model 4L VHO Ballast
* Ballast Dimensions: 11 3/4"(L) x 3”(W) x 2”(H)
* German 3 piece moisture resistant endcaps.
* Polished mirror aluminum reflector.
* Quick Disconnect Cable: 7’ 1?2”
* Power Cord: 7’ 1?2”
* Wire Harness: 6’
* Assembled dimensions with endcaps and bulbs: 48 5/8"L x 10"W x 2 3/4"H
* This VHO Retrofit Kit is pre-assembled and wired on our Polished Aluminum Mirror Reflector to save you time. All you have to do is insert bulbs, mount it into your existing reflector, canopy or hood, and turn it on. That’s it! No complex and confusing wiring diagrams.
* Polished Aluminum Mirror Reflector reflects up to 99%! These reflectors come with a thin blue protective film to prevent scratches. Be sure to remove this film before you mount and light up the unit.
* Extreme intensity and reliability is guaranteed. Backed by a 3 year warranty on the ballast.
* Exceptionally energy efficient electronic ballast with potted design for cooler and moisture resistant operation.
* 3-piece german Endcaps.
* Ballasts are not dimmable.
* VHO ballasts are not compatible on X-10 systems.
do you guys think this is a good deal, or is it crap and i should look at a different brand?

92protruck

I have used a similar set up for 3 years and love it. I purchased an extra ARO ballast so I could run actinics an hour before and an hour after white lights came on. I used URI bulbs which have built in reflectors and skipped the reflector that came with the kit. I used 2 actinics and 2 50/50 bulbs. I have had no problems with the ballasts or end caps. I also used the 46.5 inch bulbs which fit better in my canopy.

trippkid

Yes, I was going to suggest the 46.5" bulbs(that is what I use too), if you canopy is a tight fit and not oversized for the 48" bulbs, you'll probably have to angle them some.

Matt

trippkid

After reading all of your post, sorry, it may fit without having angle bulbs
, good luck. I love my VHO's, I run an IceCap, so I can't say much about the system, sounds all good IMO.
Matt