violet growth in tank

cody57

hi folks, i noticed a light violet colored growth on my power hd and on the glass. up close it looks crystal-like. does anyone know what that is?

krishj39

Sounds like coralline algae to me. good stuff to have. Do some research on that, and if you are sure that isn't what it is, let us know and we'll try again to figure out what it is. As always, pictures are helpful, when possible.

krishj39

I've never taken a picture specifically of coralline in my tank, but in this pic of my gold stripe maroon you can see the coralline growing on the powerhead. There are two colors on this, the pink, and the green. It comes in many other colors though.

cody57

yep, that appears to be what it is. i took some pics w/my digital camera, but the batteries died. once they're recharged, i'll take some more and see if i can post them here. i'm new w/the camera, so i'm having trouble w/close-ups of the coralline algae.

aarone

yeah coralline is a good thing. Makes your tank look really neat!
If you want it to grow better, i would recommend using a calcium source, such as liquid calcium, or kalkwasser mix. I think alot of people also use Mrs. Wages pickling lime, whatever that is.

michaeltx

if you get a good growth of it on your rocks then the pest algae doesnt have anywhere to grow mainly hair algae. thats just one I cant remember the others right now lOL
Mike

cody57

heres a couple pics of my tank, first time, so i hope this works. the dots below the skimmer box on the left side are the coralline algae spots.

michaeltx

at the bottom of the post hit browse and find the photo but it can only be 102mg pic or 102400 bytes. if you need a program to use I suggest Ifranview32 off downloads.com pretty self explanitory on changeing its size.
HTH
Mike

michaeltx

here ya go
if you save it as a bmp file it is much smaller if you save it as a JPG file it can be posted in your post like this.
Mike

cody57

thanks mike!!! i used too fine a picture (too many pixels on original snap shot). its kind of hard to see any detail. the original came out alot better. thanks again for your help.