Visi-Jet-PS Protien Skimmer

landmeier

I purchased this skimmer on Friday. The problem is is that there is no foam produced.
When I first plug it in it creates bubbles for a minute or so and then nothing. I believe the main point of a skimmer is to produce bubbles to remove organics, right?
Does anyone know what is wrong? Is it just a piece of crap? This is my first skimmer so I really don't know what to expect. I know it is not the best skimmer, but I am a poor college student and this is all I could afford at the time. It is being used on a 35 gal. fish only tank. Help please!!!!
:confused:

M

missycoral

HI if you jsut got your skimmer friday it taks a week maybe longer to start working a new skimmer has a breakin period. you will have micro bubbles till it starts in. make sure your air and water mix is proper aswell might have to adjuet accordenly. goodluck. Missy

D

diatom

It's hard to say without looking at it what the problem is. I do know from experience that the instructions do SUCK for that particular piece of equipment. The first thing that comes to my mind is the venturi tube. Is it seated correctly? Is the end of it out of the water and able to suck air?
Let me know if this helps, if not I'll see if I can suggest anything else. Mine produced a dark green watery subtance, never the thick dark foam that more advanced skimmer seem to produce.

landmeier

You got that right, the instructions really do suck. I tried blowing thru the venturi tube to see if it was properly connected and I did get bubbles to form in the tube. The only thing I really got out of the instructions was to take out a plug where the venturi tube goes(which I did). Are there any more pieces I need to remove or put together? Thanks for your guys' help! I guess I'll give it a week or so to see if it starts makin some foam. Oh yeah, I almost forgot. Am I supposed to see bubbles in the tube or not? When it is first plugged in it makes a few bubbles in the tube for about 5 minutes and then they all disappear.

D

diatom

You'll definatilly see lots of microbubbles in the tube. to me it sounds like your not getting any air through the venturi tube. You might try taking the filter end off of the tube and seeing what affect that has.
Let me know, but I think were getting closer to solving your prob.

landmeier

I figured it out!!! I had removed the turbo venturi cap. I thought that was there for shipping purposes. I put it back on and millions of bubbles appeared. Thanks for all your help Diatom. I really appreciate your help and concern. ;)

D

diatom

my pleasure, glad I could help. I know how frustrating it can be to purchase something and not have it work.
Good luck in the future.
Brent

M

missycoral

Your welcome landmeier, ding dang i musta been tired with that post typo city lol. goodluck. Missy