Volcanic Lace Rock

tigershark

I saw some Volcanic Lace Rock at my LFS this weekend and they said it is safe for saltwater tanks. So I went to my local rockery and picked some up real cheap. They told me to wash it off real good and they put it in boiling water for a few minutes to make sure it is sterile. Had anyone used this before in their reef tanks or do you know of any problems with using this kind of rock?

justinl

I have used the red volcanic lava rock in my saltwater tank for more than 2 years without issue- it was a big chunk- at least 35lbs. Coraline algae and other critters grew on it just fine, and it didn't seem to kill anything off in my tank.

tigershark

Do you know the difference between the red and the grey stuff I picked up? Did yours affect the pH or alkalinity at all?

sal t. nutz

I have used Lace rock in 2 different tanks. It is perfect. It will become live before long also, if you add some good quality LR also.

justinl

I had fish, inverts, corals- you name it and it didn't seem to affect any of the water parameters negatively. I'm not sure of the difference between the red and grey/black rock. Maybe the supplier you got it from can tell you.

Originally posted by TigerShark
Sounds good then, I will clean it up, boil it and into the tank it goes :D

Hey Tiger ,
I would go one more step, Just to be safe . I would soak the rock in a large bucket or bin for a few days in very light bleach water. Then i would let it set in fresh for a few more with a fresh water clorine remover like stress coat to make sure it was clean. Then bake them or boil the rocks. I have always gone to great lengths in making sure that rocks are clean and as sterile as i could before i added them to a tank, or even a snake cage :)

tigershark

I hear ya on going to great lengths. I am kinda worried now, on another board, they said that some lace rock has metals that can leach out and destroy a reef. Any ideas on how to tell if my rock has these metals? Now that there is doubt, I dont know if I want to use it any more.