volitan and anthias

cbort

I have a problem, would a volitan bother a singapor angel or a squareback anthias?
I had a singapor angel with my volitan, (juvy) about 4 inches body length, with a singapor angel, and i woke up the next morning, and my angel was dead. i had the angel in the tank a week or two before i got my volitan, and he was doing just fine, and then he was dead. So next i got a square back anthias, and his fins have been eaten, the only other fish i have in there are 2 reef chromis which i am having a hell of a time getting out with about 50 lbs of live rock. Volitan is doing great though.

ryan

its not your lion doing it. Lionfish wont chase fish around the tank until they die. They will sit there and stalk their food. The lion wont nip the fins of your other fish either. When a lion eats it swallows its food whole. Your fish would have disappeared it was the lion. I dont know about chromis and anthias, but I know angels can get ill very easily, and the lionfish is very hardy. Maybe theres something in the tank that caused it?

lion_crazz

Originally posted by ryan
its not your lion doing it. Lionfish wont chase fish around the tank until they die. They will sit there and stalk their food. The lion wont nip the fins of your other fish either. When a lion eats it swallows its food whole. Your fish would have disappeared it was the lion. I dont know about chromis and anthias, but I know angels can get ill very easily, and the lionfish is very hardy. Maybe theres something in the tank that caused it?

yes, I agree fully.

cbort

well, the anthias is now dead. His fins were eaten pretty good, no evidence of any other fish harrassing him. heres my line up
black volitan
squareback anthias (now dead)
2 reef chromis (would take these back to LFS, but can't them in 50+ lbs or live rock)
sally light foot
misc. hermits
misc snails
This is all that is in my tank that i know of(bought) as of the day the anthias died.
all the other fish are doing fine, swimming and eating happily, although, the occational try of the volitan to corral the chromis but they are too quick for him to be eaten.
When i got him, he was very beautiful fins were grown out very healthy. His fins started getting shorter, and then he died. Thats all i know.
Does anyone think any of my other live stock had eaten its fins? I have had many tank and many fish, when fins get eaten, its usually a bully in the tank. Do you think at night (when the anthias goes into the rocks to rest that the sally light foot could have done this? It was mainly his tail fins. My guess is he died from the stress of whatever was picking on him, he never got ick or any parasites that i could visually see.???
Thanks for the help
Curtis

zemuro114

maybe they are dying and the hermits are picking at it? Volitans definitely do not nip at fins.. they have no teeth!

lion_crazz

It could be your chromis. They are known to be a little be of nippers. They are somewhat in the damsel family..
It's definitely not your lion.