Volitan is vertical, Gasping for air!!!!!!

fishfry

I have had my Volitan for 6mos+ in a 75 gallon with others. The trigger seems fine, the toadfish, the dogface puffer, snowflake and green eel seem fine. The porcupine and volitan are breathing very hard. My Volitan is the size of a small basketball. He is bright red like when he is alarmed or pissed. He is vertical in the tank gasping for air!!! Any thoughts on what the hell is going on??? Please help. We did a 30% water change, and dosed it with emergency denitratification - deammonization chemical. I thought maybe one of the died and that is what caused the major spike. Is it possible the toadfish or lionfish excreted poison into the tank?

2batrigger

fishfry said:
I have had my Volitan for 6mos+ in a 75 gallon with others. The trigger seems fine, the toadfish, the dogface puffer, snowflake and green eel seem fine. The porcupine and volitan are breathing very hard. My Volitan is the size of a small basketball. He is bright red like when he is alarmed or pissed. He is vertical in the tank gasping for air!!! Any thoughts on what the hell is going on??? Please help. We did a 30% water change, and dosed it with emergency denitratification - deammonization chemical. I thought maybe one of the died and that is what caused the major spike. Is it possible the toadfish or lionfish excreted poison into the tank?[/QUOTE
possible but all should be effected. lower salinity and add areation

2batrigger

Originally Posted by fishfry
that's what i was thinking. I hit the aerator on full blast. Doesn't seem to be helping

have you added anything chemical wise lately. also i would clean all filters including change pads and everything something bad could be dying off in it. Algae sometimes goes a sexual and can effect oxygen levels and such
how are the other fish doing? Might want to think about freshwater dip if you can determine its flukes but it is risky. maybe change another 30% after cleaning and changing filters. oh also are they just over fed? what do you feed. Goldfish and such can inflame liver and belly causing this.

fishfry

a 75 gallon.
Ammonia 0 - chem induced
Salinity 1.019 - lowered to reduce aptasia
Temp 81
Ph 8.2
Nitrate 80 - 160
Nitrite .25
For some reason the nitrite and ammonia spiked extremely high. Nothing died didnt do anything differently. Makes no sense. changed out fluval system media and pads a week ago. and I have a protein skimmer up top. Plus I have constant oxygen flowing from water jets.

2batrigger

a 75 gallon.
Ammonia 0 - chem induced
Temp 81
Ph 8.2
Nitrate 80 - 160
Nitrite .25
For some reason the nitrite and ammonia spiked extremely high. Nothing died didnt do anything differently. Makes no sense. changed out fluval system media and pads a week ago. and I have a protein skimmer up top. Plus I have constant oxygen flowing from water jets.
nitrates are too high. do another water change to bring it down. also sounds like too many fish for a 75. add additional filtration or bring down fish load. all those will not last much longer in that tank you'll need something bigger soon. what kind of trigger?

2batrigger

a 75 gallon.
Ammonia 0 - chem induced
Temp 81
Ph 8.2
Nitrate 80 - 160
Nitrite .25
nitrates are too high. do another water change to bring it down. also sounds like too many fish for a 75. add additional filtration or bring down fish load. all those will not last much longer in that tank you'll need something bigger soon. what kind of trigger? sounds like possible parasites in gills

petjunkie

Lionfish are senstive to ammonia and bad water quality, you have way too many huge fish in a 75 gallon and it sounds like you're using a cansister filter which will trap nitrates if you have media or floss in there, what kind of skimmer do you have? I would keep doing water changes and sell off some fish, the toadfish and snowflake eel are the only ones that really fit in that size tank. What kind of green eel are you talking about also? Your ammonia test won't read accurately with the reducing chemical in there.