Volitan Lion Behavior

bgbdwlf2500

New to the "aggressive" side of the hobby. Just set up a 55. Tank now has a Niger Trigger and a Volitan Lion. Im just wondering what is typical behavior for a lion. Are they a typically "lazy" fish that stays in one spot or do they constantly move? The one i just put in my tank moved quite a bit the first day in the tank but the last two has barely moved while the lights were on and even while theyre off. No heavy breathing or signs of distress, just wanted to ask and make sure hes acting normal since the only time ive seen them is in the fish store for a few minutes.

R

rcreations

No, they don't move a whole lot, not compared to other fish. btw, it's not a good idea to mix triggers with lions in the same tank. The trigger will likely end up killing the lion.

bgbdwlf2500

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCreations http:///forum/thread/382642/volitan-lion-behavior#post_3340866
No, they don't move a whole lot, not compared to other fish. btw, it's not a good idea to mix triggers with lions in the same tank. The trigger will likely end up killing the lion.
Thanks for the tip. Ive been keeping a close eye on the two... There was some aggression toward the lion at first but the lion seems to have put the trigger in his place.

R

rcreations

The problem is triggers like to bite the lions' fins and the lions aren't fast enough to avoid it. Keep an eye on the trigger, especially when it gets bigger.

hawkfish203

Lions arm't really aggressive by nature. Everyone just assumes they are because they eat other fish. Anyway Niger triggers are one of the least aggressive in the trigger family. So I wouldn't worry about it too much but still keep a eye on them. I have a lion and blue throat and they get along just fine. My tang if ya believe it is the one I have to watch out for. Saltwater is great because ya never know whats gonna happen really!

sepulatian

A volitans fins are long and flowing. It is very tempting to other fish, especially those with teeth. Once they start nipping, they won't stop at one bite. They shouldn't really be mixed. I know most things label lions as aggressive, but they really are not. They eat fish as their natural diet, but their behavior is in no way aggressive. Keep a VERY close eye on them and have a back up plan to rescue the lion if need be.

bgbdwlf2500

Quote:
Originally Posted by sepulatian http:///forum/thread/382642/volitan-lion-behavior#post_3341564
A volitans fins are long and flowing. It is very tempting to other fish, especially those with teeth. Once they start nipping, they won't stop at one bite. They shouldn't really be mixed. I know most things label lions as aggressive, but they really are not. They eat fish as their natural diet, but their behavior is in no way aggressive. Keep a VERY close eye on them and have a back up plan to rescue the lion if need be.
Weve already decided that if he gets attacked the lion will be the one to go and the trigger will stay... Hope it doesnt end up that way

srfisher17

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgbdwlf2500 http:///forum/thread/382642/volitan-lion-behavior#post_3341635
Quote:
Originally Posted by sepulatian
http:///forum/thread/382642/volitan-lion-behavior#post_3341564
Weve already decided that if he gets attacked the lion will be the one to go and the trigger will stay... Hope it doesnt end up that way
I hate to pile on, but I think what the people above are warning you about is almost inevitable. Especially in a small tank.IMO: a 55 is too small for adults of either of your two fish and WAY too small for both of them. Cramped quarters=stress=more aggression.

J

jstdv8

agreed, I had a large lion in a 90g and it was a little cramped for him in there even with the extra depth from front to back.

hawkfish203

Yea i'd def agree that a 55 is much too small for a lion. I have one in a 125 and when hes full grown I'd say he'll out grow that!