Volitan Lionfish is not eating

beth

Administrator
Staff member
If he has an open wound, or close to it, then it is most very likely aggression.

pcollins249

what kind of antibiotics? he not looking very good at the moment. im going to transfer him to other tank tomorrow.
last fish was the clown trigger and got him about 7 or 8 months ago

S

saxman

i would certainly defer to Beth or Renee, but i believe Furan 2 would be a good, broad spectrum antibiotic to use on open wounds.

pcollins249

sad to say but he has passed. i transfered to other tank and he went belly up :( i plan on getting another one but not anytime soon. so lets say it was the food....what should i have been feeding him?

nicetry

Originally Posted by pcollins249
http:///forum/post/3268546
sad to say but he has passed. i transfered to other tank and he went belly up :( i plan on getting another one but not anytime soon. so lets say it was the food....what should i have been feeding him?
There were a combination of things wrong here. Diet was a key factor but the choice of tankmates was also involved. I mention this because you say you plan to get another lion. Please don't add one to your current mix of fish. Regardless of whether or not the lion was being visibly harassed, you must take into account the stress factor involved. While some keep lions and triggers together succesfully, more often than not they're a bad mix, unless you have peaceful planktonic triggers, which you don't. If the lion is always on the defensive and feels threatened, the constant release of stress hormones can weaken the immune system and cause other problems. The dried krill was really bad for this fish, as were any fresh water feeders you may have used. Lions do well on a diet of chopped table shrimp (shell on), scallops, silversides, boneless whitefish, squid chunks, and other fresh meaty foods. They should also not be fed more than 3-4 times a week and then only in amounts just enough to cause a "slight" bulge in their stomach. If you want to keep one of these fish, then choose suitable tankmates and be prepared to feed it properly. This is a fish that should live many years with a peaceful environment and good diet.