Vortech mp20 vs mp40w

bpro32

I have a 120g 4x2x2 and I haven't decided between the mp20 and mp 40w... I know I can upgrade to the 40w later so that helps me out a little.
What I don't understand is what is wrong with up to 2000 gph in a 120? It is only rated up to 70g--doesn't make much sense to me...
What do you guys think I should get, taking prices into consideration.

salt210

the smaller tank wont give the water from the PH to disperse before hitting the corals. thats one thing that I can think of

bpro32

Originally Posted by salt210
http:///forum/post/3014608
the smaller tank wont give the water from the PH to disperse before hitting the corals. thats one thing that I can think of

The way I see it, a 70g tank is 4 ft long, and my tank is 4 ft long. Why can't I use the 20?

stanlalee

yes the 20 is just not powerful enough dispite the ratings I have a 1400gph powerhead on the left side of my 3ft 30g and its not exactly whipping around on the opposite side of the tank. I keep a acan happy there and its about as low flow of a coral as they come. I'm pretty sure a single one or 600gph more like the vortech would be worthless on 120g tank. From what I understand with the dispersion pattern people are able to run the MP20 full blast on my size tank. I can believe it because I did run a 2100gph just for kicks. it was too strong but just a little bit and that was when I had sand. two MP 20s would probably do okay on a 120g.

bpro32

I had a k3 on a 4ft 60g and it was blowing sh** all over the place. Keep in mind though that I have a softie/lps dominated tank, only a few sps at the moment.
I'll probably go with 1 mp40 and a k3 or k2 on the other end to make sure there are no dead spots.

stanlalee

really my 1400gph (sureflow maxijet small prop) blows at the top of the tank where the sps are but the bottom of the tank just flows enough to keep detritus moving. I even added a K1 but it was so weak and worthless I took it out and now its in a 14g biocube where its perfect. I'm thinking about replacing my powerhead with a MP20 I'm just still not convinced a few wave mods and motor outside the tank is worth the extra money spent. For what you gain moving the motor out the tank visual you lose with the cords and motor hanging out the tank unless you place them on the back wall which is not feasable unless you buy multiple units ramped down. I can buy alot of corals, reef controller WITH built in wave maker, and other stuff with $300 so I'm still very much on the fense with these.

bpro32

I'm most interested in the battery back up... and I have non controllable koralias so a wavemaker wouldn't do me any good. Vortechs are highly recommended in my local reef club so I think I will try them out.

shaggyblz

I run a single mp40 on my 110g tall and I am very happy with it. Once you find the right location for it, It will give more than enough flow for the whole tank.

michael1972

I have two of them it was about 1,200.00 for the kit of two pumps and the bat back up.
For one let me tell you i am unhappy with them.
If you are doing it for just a bat back up them get a PC batt back up "UPS" and some maxi jet or korlias and u the bat back up with them and you will save a lot of money.
Some things i dislike about the mp40.
1. There is a night mode that is not long enough just my .02
2. i am color deficient and they use colors lights for the different modes.
3 it makes sss noise when going threw some of it modes
4. The dial adjuster is not that good of an idea you have to set up the reef mode for how long the pulse is and how power full the wave or pump is.
yes it is not that hard to do but i have noticed that when i set it for a certen "wave" it gets faster than when i first started.
5. When in bat back up it only used half of its speed.
6. There is no way to turn off the lights on the controller so when in reef mode it will pulse and you see it if your controllers are not hidden but then if they are hidden you have to get to it to use the feed mode.
If I got one or two more pumps and controllers for the price i would probly like them more.
For the bang of the buck i don’t think i would do it again.
just my .02 i do like the pumps and they have added a lot of life to my tank.