Vote for the Best Protein Skimmer

nikkoli110

Hello, need some help deciding what protein skimmer is best for my tank. My skimmer now sucks, its the "Visi-Jet piece o crap". I know I have heard Aquac Remora alot, but its pretty expensive for me right now. I was also thinking about the Reef Ready Bak Pak, the SeaClone, and the Prizm Delux. I am willing to spend some, but hopefully under $160. I just want to get the most for my money. If anybody could give me a good description of how well these work, how many adjustments need to be made(the least the better!), how well they skim, and how loud they are (mine's in my bedroom so a quiet one would be nice!) I've used everyones opinions on everything else, and so far, everything is great! Thanks so much!!

robchuck

With a budget of $160, I would recommend the Remora with a Maxijet 1200 pump. It's the easiest to adjust, just raise or lower the collection cup. I used to run one on a 65, and was very happy with the results.
The next best skimmer on the list would probably be the Bak Pak for about $125. I don't have any experience with the Bak Pak, but there are many satisfied users on the boards here.

masterzeus

You can get some good used ones for that much money. I got an AquaC EV 150 for $70 (plus $40 for pump) because it had a crack in it. The crack was sealed water tight and now I have it skimming away for cheap. It has been great.

C

capschamp

Originally posted by RobChuck
With a budget of $160, I would recommend the Remora with a Maxijet 1200 pump. It's the easiest to adjust, just raise or lower the collection cup. I used to run one on a 65, and was very happy with the results.
The next best skimmer on the list would probably be the Bak Pak for about $125. I don't have any experience with the Bak Pak, but there are many satisfied users on the boards here.

i second this suggestion. and i put a no vote on the seaclown. i mean clone.

nm reef

For your tank and your budget I'd suggest the CPR BakPak 2R. It should do a great job for you.

nikkoli110

Wow thanks for all the replies! I'm glad to know the seaclown(hehe) isnt great, because I was leaning towards it because of the price, but I dont want one that doesnt work well. I think I might go with the bak pak, it seems to be a good choice, and being a little closer to my budget makes that a little better. Theres actually one on ---- for $123 shipped. Thanks for the hlep!!!

malounsbury

Yah, the SeaClone you'll end up tweaking more often than it actually working. Supposedly the newer SeaClone's are better, but that remains to be seen.