Vote "NO" to Blockbuster Online...

deltablack22

Well I just got an e-mail notice from Blockbuster stating that they were going to cancel my membership to their online program at the end of the month. They stated a "change in programs offered" which included a price increase. All they did was add an additional program that offered less than what I have now for the same as I pay now. My current plan increased $7.00...
The e-mail was written in such a way that made me feel like I was getting fired from a job or something. The seven bucks isnt a big deal, but it just ticks me off that they would do this to an existing customer. I could see raising the price for new joins. Cell phone companies do not do this, as plans change, old customers are grandfathered in. My grandmother still has a Verizon plan that was offered 10 years ago if I remember correctly.
Could just be they caught me in a bad mood and I'm overreacting, but that email just took steady monthly income and gave it straight to Net Flix. I'm sure my letter to their corporate office will go unnoticed, but if you are in the same boat, I urge you to do the same.

tangman99

Never underestimate the power of a letter, but sending it to the corporate office is not the best way. Do a little reasearch and find out who the CEO is and send it directly to him. My friend did this when he bought a samsung cellphone from cingular that was a piece of junk. He wanted to return it for a razor, but the cingular store would do nothing to help him. He sent a letter to the CEO thinking nothing would happen but at least he got to vent in a very professional way (which is key). He received a letter back in about 2 weeks with a letter of apology and the new phone he wanted. He was shocked.

deltablack22

Thanks for the tips... My purpose of the letter was nothing more than venting. I did write it very professionally, but will more than likely follow your recommendation and forward that letter to the appropriate individual. Thanks again!

jovial

Good for you. I wish more people would do this instead of just falling in line. On several occasions Ive had this kind of thing happen. The most recent being Comcast. They were constantly and deceptively raising their rates a little bit at a time without informing me first. I felt as if someone was reaching into my pockets and stealing from me and then telling me about it afterwards. Id finally had enough and called to remind them of the many alternatives available and due to budget cut backs I was willing to "let them go" if they could not remain competitive. They weren't willing to negotiate so I fired them. A few weeks later I got all kinds of offers in the mail but it was too late. Personally I dont care what they need to do as long as my rates dont increase. If they go up, I ditch em. One of the advantages of a free market I suppose.

demartini

I know! that's what happened to us with blockbuster online. I told my dad to just cancel it, but he said it's still worth it for him... whatever... they are definitely going to lose a lot of customers.

petjunkie

What? That's nuts that they would raise the price of a previous contract, I hadn't heard anything about this yet. Netflix just lowered my price, you could always switch over.

deltablack22

Originally Posted by petjunkie
What? That's nuts that they would raise the price of a previous contract, I hadn't heard anything about this yet. Netflix just lowered my price, you could always switch over.

I will be switching...