Walk me threw building a sump.

predator

Well, I'v heard it is'nt that hard to make a sump.So I was wondering if anyone could walk me threw it.I'm pretty dumb when it comes to sumps so I'll not only need a list of equipment I'll need but I'll need the advice in dummy terms as well.
It will be for a 75 reef tank.I'v heard of multible chambers and so on and like the way it sounds.click here to see pics of my reef

option720

Well it really depends on what you want. You could go with a wet/dry set up that has bio ball that the water trickles over. I don't recommend this for a reef because they have a tendancy to become nitrate factories. You could go with a refugium type sump that uses slower water movement and caulerpa (a macro algea) to filter the tank and provide a place for amphipods and copepods to grow safely. Or you could do a sump that just adds water volume to your tank, which is essential just a smaller tank under your existing tank. Like i said it is really up to you and what you want. I say you go look at others websites and see how their sumps look, what they stock in their tank and then decide.
here i will start you off....here is my sump.
www.geocities.com/option720/sump.html
Good Luck!!!

jtoliver

you can go to your lfs pick out what you like, and then copy it. use a small fish tank that is about the size you want and make the inside walls with plexaglass or lexan and silicone it to the place you want it. Good luck

justinl

I too would like to know how to go about making a sump. I'm a bit confused as to what a sump should include (i.e. should it have a DSB and protein skimmer and if so hwo do I incorporate these things)?
Could I use a modified wet/dry filter to make a sump (minus the bio blass and stuff)like this

And how many pumps or safeguards to prevent overflows do I need?

sumps are pretty simple. they are just an extra tank with all your equipment and adds to water volume for a much more stable system. all it is is a tank with all your filtration equipment. a overflow is used to bring it to the sump and a pump to pump it back to the tank.