Walmart r.o. water?

malounsbury

Originally Posted by MonaLisa
the water at Wal Mart with the green labels and lids is marked drinking water. It actually has on the label that the water was ro/di processed.
Actually it says that it's reverse osmosis and ozonated. I was there today looking. So, its not actually RO/DI.
Ozone (O3) is one of the strongest oxidizing agents that is readily available. It is used to reduce color, eliminate organic waste, reduce odor and reduce total organic carbon in water.
Ozone is created in a number of different ways, including ultra violet (UV) light, corona discharge of electricity through an oxygen stream (including air), and several others. In treating small quantities of waste, the UV ozonators are the most common, while large-scale systems use either corona discharge or other bulk ozone-producing methods.
Ozone is formed as oxygen (O2) is struck by a source of energy. The bonds that hold the O2 together are broken and three O2 molecules are combined to form two O3 molecules. The ozone begins to break down fairly quickly, and as it does so, it reverts back into O2. The bonds that hold the O atoms together are very weak, which is why ozone acts as a strong oxidant as readily as it does.

Ozonation uses the same kind ozone found in the atmosphere. By adding ozone to the water supply and then sending an electric charge through the water, water suppliers inactivate disease-causing microbes including Giardia and Cryptosporidium. Giardia and Cryptosporidium are extremely resistant to chlorine disinfection, but can pose serious --even fatal--digestive problems if ingested.
Ozonation is an effective way to alleviate most of a water supply's taste and odor issues.
Ozonation can also lead to increased rates of corrosion in the distribution system, requiring more frequent replacement of infrastructure.

monalisa

So Malousbury,
Is that okay to use? Hope so...I'm pretty stocked up right now :rolleyes:
Thanks,
Lisa :happyfish

malounsbury

When I worked at the aquarium here in Baltimore, I believe they added ozone to certain tanks because some of the fish needed it. I really can't say one way or another if it would be alright to use or not. If fishnerd is around, he works at the aquarium now and may know more than I do about it.

dskidmore

Originally Posted by pohtr
So, how about the ozonized water? Same thing only different?? That is what our
Walmart has, no R.O.
Our local water is so terrible that some sort of filter for our home use is in order. Is the R.O. water as good for drinking as it is for fish?
You Betcha! My parents had this in one of thier former houses, and we used it for everything!

dskidmore

Originally Posted by malounsbury
When I worked at the aquarium here in Baltimore, I believe they added ozone to certain tanks because some of the fish needed it. I really can't say one way or another if it would be alright to use or not. If fishnerd is around, he works at the aquarium now and may know more than I do about it.
Ozone is used as a sterilization measure. Some people even use ozone in thier skimmers instead of normal compressed air. The ozone bubbles out of the water after killing the germs it passed by, it doesn't stick around. It should be perfectly fine to used ozonated water.

monalisa

Thanks Dskidmore. I just know that I've been feeling better about doing top offs and changes with the W-Mart water.

fishmamma

Wow, Malounsbury thanks for posting all that info. I am going to go ahead and use the distilled stuff that I purchased already. I can buy RO/DI water from LFS for 50 cents a gallon, but they are not within a quick driving distance. Who knew ater could be so complicated? :yes:

dskidmore

Originally Posted by malounsbury
I think someone said it has to be a Super Walmart with the grocery store to it. I checked my local Walmart (non Super) today and it didn't have it.
Confirmed: I just did a phone poll of my local Wal-marts. The two supercenters had it, the non-supercenter didn't. Guess I need to start hauling water jugs to work. (The one near where I shop isn't a supercenter.) The most convienient supercenter to my workplace is new, and wasn't in the phone book. I'm hoping they have it.

pohtr

I'm giving up on the r.o. water search and starting a r.o. purifier search. It is just too much of a hassle to find the r.o. water around here and the last lfs wanted .75/gal!! in my own jugs!!! (Super Walmarts here don't even know what I'm talaking about)

jobob

well my ro unit cost me $110 new w shipping on

[hr]
. if ur paying 75 cents a gal. the unit will pay for its self in 2days. since it does 100 gpd. so in the long run its cheaper. mine turns out about 1gal for every 3. so i use 15 gal to fill my 5gal jug. im not sure what i pay for water but its not $.75 or even $.25(what my wal-mart charges).

kdfrosty

I used to use the distilled (purple cap) Wal Mart branded distilled water. It was (like stated above) $1.74 for a case of 3 gallons, or $.58 per gallon. I tried the Culligan water machine they have at my local WalMart, and it's far less filtered than the distilled they sell off the shelf. I've pretty much given up on Wal Mart water all together....it's either too expensive or not filtered enough.
Recently I started going to this place called Precision Water. They only sell RO, and have jugs from 1-5 gallons for purchase or lease. I bought 100 gallons at once, and it was $32. They have my name on file, kinda like a membership card, and I can now fillup using my prepaid water for much cheaper. After testing the water, this seems to be the best of all I have used thus far, and will continue to use this place.
Of course an RO filter would be great, I just cant find one locally, and dont want to order of the auction site. Eventually this is what I'll get though.

dory36

I use the RO water from Wal-Mart with the purple cap. I pay 58 cents also. I usually add about 5-6 gallons a week to replace what's evaporated. When I do my water changes I get 15 gallons of salt water from my lfs. I probably spend about $20 a week on all my water. We have an RO/DI unit just sitting out in the garage that isn't hooked up yet. I'm not in any hurry to have my husband hook it up, either. He thinks I'm nuts, but having a garbage can in my laundry room and mixing in the salt sounds like a big hassle. Is the savings really worth all that trouble? :notsure:

malounsbury

I think premixing your own water is worth the hassle. Say you have a spike in water parameters and you need to do an emergency water change. If you premix it yourself, you just walk to where your water is and take some and do a quick water change. If you get it from the LFS, you have to get ready to go out if you're not ready already, hop in the car, drive to the LFS and then wait for someone to be available to help you. Sure, it may only take 15-20 minutes, but what if you come back in that time and your favorite fish is laying on the bottom?

dory36

I have a 50 lb. box of salt on hand and Wal-Mart is within walking distance, so I think I'm okay if my water parameters go haywire for some reason. I'll give the RO/DI unit a try once it's hooked up. I still think it's going to be a pain, but I'm willing to give it a trial run. I'll let you know what I think!

dskidmore

Originally Posted by KDFrosty
I tried the Culligan water machine they have at my local WalMart, and it's far less filtered than the distilled they sell off the shelf.
Do you have a TDS meter? Can you elaborate on this statement?

monalisa

I found the water machine at our Wal Mart...33 cents a gal. yeah, I can do that...my tank is so happy about that!!!

drew2005

You Long Island people are killin me. I went to 3 Walmarts today and none had any RO water left. DAMMIT! save me some

dskidmore

I looked into the cost of an RO unit, and decided at my projected usage rate, it's actually cheaper to just buy the water from wal-mart.
So, has anyone figured out how to work the machine so it actually completely fills 1 gallon bottles? The water comes out so forecefully that it mixes in a ton of air, and even if I leave the switch "on" until the bottles overflow, there is still a considerable air gap left at the top of the bottle. Do the two gallon widemouth containers get around that problem?

dskidmore

FYI
Last time I got my Wal-mart water, I noticed the maintenance sticker. It has the date of the last filter change, and the TDS reading at that time. It indeed did not read 0, it was 7, but the filters had been changed recently. Seven isn't a bad reading for a unit that doesn't have DI.
With my upgraded tank, I will be buying an RO/DI unit, but it will have to do until my husband buys enough computer parts for me to get back in the green.

S

sinner's girl

Great Value brand of spring water
I use this when setting up or if I need new water bottles. Otherwise, I fill up at the cullgan mechine.
So, has anyone figured out how to work the machine so it actually completely fills 1 gallon bottles?
I never had this problem before. But then this week when I went there, they had a new machine. And water does come out fast. I used to just slow it down as it got close to the top.