wanna humu humu

stumpyfish

So my LFS has a small humu humu trigger that is absolutely gorgeous and would look fantastic in my tank. I know they can be hit and miss as far as their aggressiveness but do you all think he would do well in a 125 with 2 perc clowns, 1royal gramma, 1 3 stripe damsel, 1 hippo tang, and hords of hermits, snails and 10 shrimp? This site says that they aren't reef safe, why is that?

miaheatlvr

Originally Posted by stumpyfish
So my LFS has a small humu humu trigger that is absolutely gorgeous and would look fantastic in my tank. I know they can be hit and miss as far as their aggressiveness but do you all think he would do well in a 125 with 2 perc clowns, 1royal gramma, 1 3 stripe damsel, 1 hippo tang, and hords of hermits, snails and 10 shrimp? This site says that they aren't reef safe, why is that?
CAN and most likely will make quick work of your shrimps and ALL inverts, WHY? because its a trigger and thats what they do..I would say level of agressiveness equal to a PICASSO..

stumpyfish

Originally Posted by MiaHeatLvr
CAN and most likely will make quick work of your shrimps and ALL inverts, WHY? because its a trigger and thats what they do..I would say level of agressiveness equal to a PICASSO..
Arent a humu humu and a picasso the same? That stinks, I've never had a trigger before but thought it would be cool to have....... not at the expense of the cleanup crew though.

kjr_trig

Originally Posted by MiaHeatLvr
Picasso is a Huma Huma Heatlvr....He would in time likely get your shrimp, snails, and any other invert you care to offer him...Mine never showed any aggression toward another fish, including a Niger that was added later, I had him for 5+ years...Wonderful fish with loads of personality that would do fine in a 125 in my opinion....They can be aggressive, but Bob Fenner (noted author) considers them one of the "non-troublemakers" of the Trigger family....Still, small fish beware.....I would take a Huma over a clean-up crew any day...thats just me though.

stumpyfish

I must have watched this little fella swim for at least half an hour. I just love the way that he almost seemed to slowly flutter around, I think thats what I love about my hippo too, the way he kind of glides through the water. Maybe I can put the cleanup crew in my 40 and then get one.

miaheatlvr

Originally Posted by kjr_trig
Picasso is a Huma Huma Heatlvr....He would in time likely get your shrimp, snails, and any other invert you care to offer him...Mine never showed any aggression toward another fish, including a Niger that was added later, I had him for 5+ years...Wonderful fish with loads of personality that would do fine in a 125 in my opinion....They can be aggressive, but Bob Fenner (noted author) considers them one of the "non-troublemakers" of the Trigger family....Still, small fish beware.....I would take a Huma over a clean-up crew any day...thats just me though.
My bad, I got Bursa and Huma huma mixed up,, I used to have both.. Triggers are like puppies the way they look at you and follow you around, screaming, "TAKE ME HOME" no? he he lol

aquaknight

I think you guys may be giving the humu a bit of credit. Taking down a whole cleaning crew? Really? The shrimp, sure, heck damsels and tangs kill them. The hermits? Eh, maybe when larger. The smart ones only come out at night anyways. Snails I really doubt. I can't see even a 7" humu taking down a moderately sized turbo.
Still though, 10 shrimp is a bit of an investment.

xdave

Can you see a 2" Humu taking out a 15" Volitan Lion in one bite?
I sure wish I had never seen it!
It will continue to kill all the inverts until they are gone.