Want a new clam but know nothing....

shwstpr88

Hey guys wondering what special requirements are needed for clams I have a standard 125 reef tank 2in sand bed 130lbs live rock. I have nova extreme pro 72in T5 lights. Am I setup to get a clam? I know there a few different types but what sets them apart?

nycbob

i hv kept clams under my nova pro t5 for the past 2 plus years. i dont see an issue. my clams hv been growing. in fact, my deresa grew from 3 to 8 inches. u will see many clams under t5 if u google it. i dont understand why people immediately think clams cant be raised under t5 without doing thorough research 1st. with ur light, it isnt an issue.

meowzer

My Derasa is under T5's in my 29G and looking beautiful...I have only had it since December 2 though, but sure is looking beautiful :)

bcollett

If you dont have a really high wattage lighting setup then i would just suggest getting a rock dwelling Clam species ie. Corcea or something and put it up high in the tank where it will get good bright light. I'm sure you'll be fine. Just watch your water parameters, and keep the Calcium up and they're really not as difficult as some may lead you to believe.
Good luck. have fun.

kraylen

Clams will be fine under T5, dose your Ca and you'll be fine.
I love the lighting myths.... with the new PC bulbs they are releasing, you will be able to keep everything under standard PC as well.

shwstpr88

Thanks for the info so far I appreciate it. My T5's create about 470W of light in my 125gal tank. If that helps, I thought they would be ok....
Anyways are any of the clams easier or better than others what sets them apart as they all kinda look the same aside from color?

kraylen

Oh yeah, you have more than enough light provided you are using good bulbs like ATI. I plan on using my same 6x54w T5 fixture when I upgrade to a 125g.
You have ALOT of light. T5s are very very strong and have full coverage over a tank.
T5 > MH

pezenfuego

Originally Posted by Kraylen
http:///forum/post/3225189
Oh yeah, you have more than enough light provided you are using good bulbs like ATI. I plan on using my same 6x54w T5 fixture when I upgrade to a 125g.
You have ALOT of light. T5s are very very strong and have full coverage over a tank.
T5 > MH
T5 ≤ MH
I have T5 and love them. I think I have the same lighting system as Meowzer actually.
You'll be fine

btldreef

http:///forum/post/3224803
Clams will be fine under T5, dose your Ca and you'll be fine.
I love the lighting myths.... with the new PC bulbs they are releasing, you will be able to keep everything under standard PC as well.
Yup, I keep a maxima under a 24watt 10k daylight PCs and it is thriving. All I dose is Ca every 3 days.
Add a tiny bit of cyclops shrimp 2 times a week as well.

btldreef

http:///forum/post/3225878
You should give it phyto instead :)
Tried that, didn't notice as much growth as I do with cyclops. I have to add cyclops for other things in the tank anyways, so the less I have to dump into a nano, the better.

mrdc

Clams were one creature I never had good luck with and it pissed me off!!

I was running 2x250 mh and 4x65w compacts. My parameters were testing good at the time so I have no idea what was going on. My new unit will have 2x150 mh and 2x96w compacts. I know I wont have as much light power but I could place it up higher in the tank instead of on the sandbed. Decisions decisions. I'm not the type to keep killing the same creature if I can't seem to keep it alive but since this is my rebirth in the tanl world I will have to think about it.