Want a new tank. Need help deciding.

tinysmajick

Hello everyone,
I have been into this hobby for about 8 months now. As most of you know it is ADDICTIVE!
I am looking to go bigger(no shock there
).
I currently have a 55 gal. glass.
I am thinking at least 125 possiably bigger. I want to be satisfied for awhile.
So, the questions are-
Acrylic or glass?
How long will I be satisfied with the size I am thinking? (those who know from experience)
In acrylic, what is the sapphire blue, light blue and black tinting options?
Which one is the best?
And anything else you can think of that I have not listed.
Thanks in advance for the help and comments.

fireshrimp

currently i have a 75 glass aquarium ... and i want to upgrade as well
but the problem is, for me atleast a weight issue. Water is like 7.8 lbs a gallon x 125 plus rock and sand the stand and your fuge / sump.
Just make sure you have a solid place to put it

Acrlyic also weighs a lot less but people complain about scratches a lot.

tinysmajick

Thank you.
That is one of the reasons that I am considering acrylic(weight).
I know that for the size I am wanting it will be HEAVY.
I have also heard that the acrylic is horrible for scratches, BUT thus far, that is the only negative thing I have heard.
I am thinking that if I am super careful(yeah right
) that I might be able to keep it clear for awhile.
I don't know. That is why I posted this.
Not really getting the amount of feedback I was hoping for yet though.

Acyrlic is TERRIBLE for scratches. I know this not from having acyrlic fish tanks, but from acyrlic teraniums and vivariums. if your really carefull, you can avoid scratching it for a while, but scratches are ineveidible. Rocks, possibly even sand can scratch it. But if you don't mind the odd scratch, or the price (generally more costly for the thikness you will need). The weight is a big possitive though.

bill109

Originally Posted by tinysmajick
Thank you almostclueless. I really appreciate the insight. :happyfish
b4 you upgraded think of the cost difference.
its no fun to have a bif tank but cant set it up for a year till you can get everything you need!
look for someting along the lines of a 90 or 100 long
i think the 100 is almost 6 but is around 5 ft

maeistero

all the acrylics i've worked with are scratched up pretty quick near the bottom sides. if you clean the sides, it's inevitable that you'll pick up a random piece of sand unless you leave the bottom inch or so algae.
glass is much clearer in general, especially if you can afford the starfire. i wouldn't worry too much about the weight as long as you perpendicular the tank to the joists.
i like the 90 and 135 sizes better personally. i have a 125 and 180 also and they seem too long and short to me. i'd say go as big as you can afford.

tinysmajick

Thank you everyone!
Originally Posted by renogaw
heh, i'd consider going bigger but i know i'd also be getting a divorce.
Luckily, my husband races. So, the money I spend on this doesn't even come close to the amount he spends on racing. Not yet, at least. Therefore he doesn't say a word about it.

90 sounds good. 135 sounds better

jessi p

I recently got back into fishkeeping with a 75 gallon set up that I bought from someone getting out of SW.
I am already wanting MORE, BIGGER, and BETTER. Like a 125.... but I don't dare consider that for another year or so...have to build up my good behavior points and work on the SO. Enough BJs and he doesn't care what I spend money on .....

tinysmajick

Originally Posted by Jessi P
I recently got back into fishkeeping with a 75 gallon set up that I bought from someone getting out of SW.
I am already wanting MORE, BIGGER, and BETTER. Like a 125.... but I don't dare consider that for another year or so...have to build up my good behavior points and work on the SO. Enough BJs and he doesn't care what I spend money on .....

:hilarious
I know what ya mean!!!!
Thanks you gave me a good laugh this morning!!!!!

saltn00b

HAHAHA that is awesome! im sure someone will not be happy with that comment tho
i would say seriously uncderstand just how expensive the larger tanks are, and what you want to do with it (IE REEF for big tanks costs so much more etc etc) and then go as large as you can financially and logistically.

maeistero

i definitely agree with that. the bigger tanks take a helluba lot more electricity and water. that means if you don't have an auto top off, you're lugging the jugs (no pun intended) in.
i probably do about 30gal a day on an off day for my tanks.
you may also consider a big cube. i have a 60gal that's my favorite tank. i always thought the bigger the better, but this thing takes my cake.
:thinking:

maeistero

that's on over 1000gal of tanks.
the cube was used and custom made, but i love it. just research and you'll find them standard.
number one thing i could tell you is to visit as many websites as possible before you decide. many people just get whatever is at the local fish store (lfs) and then decide to upgrade. if you're shy then gut up and ask. all of my lfs' have catalogs with pictures and dimensions. you may have to wait for your order, but it's better to have something unique that you like.

tinysmajick

Thanks bunches!!!

I have been researching a little. I worry that the cube will be too deep and not enough room to swim.
What is a recommended stocklist for that type of tank?
I currently have a yellow tang, small but I know that I need to upgrade as soon as possiable.
I am looking to spend about $1000. on the tank alone.
There is actually someone local selling a 150 gal for $800.
The only problem is that it is a complete setup. Fish and all. I am not sure how hard it would be to move it like that.
I am figuring fairly difficult. What are your ideas on this?

maeistero

i think i paid 400 on my 180gal, with more for the truck rental. your price seems ok considering i didn't get anything with mine but the stand and lids.
if you or he/she doesn't know how to move a tank then you'll need to find someone. it'll take 3-4 people to lift and someone that knows pumps. you will want to keep the tank barebottom until water testing comes to good. then start adding sand a bit at a time. so use your old tank for sand/rock and the new barebottom for the fish/rocks with coral. slowly mix the water and sand between the tanks.
all of my tanks are used so i'm used to it, but it's rough to say the least. my biggest problem has been losing snails all at once which is a lift on the nitrites. i'd keep your cleanup crew in the old tank as long as possible until the new tank is stable test-wise.

tinysmajick

I have found one that I love!!!! :cheer:
It is a 100 gal. teneview. Marine ready, With all the filtration setup and lights included.
Problem is, It is $4,000.!!!!! :scared:
I think I'll check into a few more options and keep that one as my "dream" tank for right now

At least until I save up the money.
Is anyone familiar with a teneview tank?
Maeisteroyou have been a huge help. I really do appreciate it!