want bluer light, new bulbs

buffalonative

I have a satellite single compact fixture. It comes with a pair of 50/50 bulbs (65w each). I want to have a bluer look to the tank, and was thinking about changing one of the bulbs to either a 420nm or 460 bulb. I want that reef tank blue look. I think it was the 420nm that was too dark almost like moon light, I want the bright blue, would that be the 460nm? any input? This is for a fo tank with some live rock, no inverts.

posiden

If you have a single PC fixture then you can not just change one of them. It will be a whole new bulb with two lamps. If you switch to a 420 and 460mn bulb it will be more blue for sure. I think coral growth will suffer though, like slowly go away. If I were you and wanted more blue I would look at adding another light or buying another light fixture.
How big of a tank is this? A single PC fixture, it must be a nano.

buffalonative

theres two lamps with two bulbs each. each 50/50 bulb is a 10k daylight and an actinic. So i was thinking leave the one 50/50 bulb, then use a 460nm on the other side. so it would be a 10k/460 then a 460
tank is a 75g, no corals.

posiden

Originally Posted by buffalonative
http:///forum/post/3156291
theres two lamps with two bulbs each. each 50/50 bulb is a 10k daylight and an actinic. So i was thinking leave the one 50/50 bulb, then use a 460nm on the other side. so it would be a 10k/460 then a 460
tank is a 75g, no corals.

OOOHHHHH, now I got ya. Sorry. I have the same amount of light over my 20L. I have the 30" dual PC on it. I have a 50/50 and a 460/420 I believe. The camera batterie is charging right now. I will take a pic of it and post it when it is done charging.

posiden

My camera doesn't capture the difference too well. I will try and get better pics.
I removed these pics, they were just bad examples.

posiden

Here is a better representation of the lights. I think it is the best I can get.
Just the 50/50.

Both the 50/50 and the 460/420.

Hope this helps.